Many-to-many workflow creation is extremely slow: cannot add/remove users etc

Hi All,

I am constantly struggling with adding/removing users in the workflow when there is a many-to-mang relationship. If’s been more than an hour now (?!) that I am trying to add a user to followers… and it’s been like this since the app grew more than 10 screens… I get “page irresponsive” notification and nothing happens. Is there a way to speed this up? It is truly not possible to work like this… Appreciate any piece of advice! Thanks

Complicated many to many relationships have always and will always cause performance issues with any database, that’s why it’s always best to avoid them if possible.

Try using a join table instead and see if the performance is quicker.

Thanks for your reply! And what is a join table, please? I am not sure I understand what you are talking about… I understand that I should avoid many-to-many as much as I can, but in my case I can’t do without it I think…

A join table (collection) contains common fields from two or more other tables (collections). It helps to create a many-to-many relationship.

This is what a join table looks like…

So the join table in this instance should be called students join classes and this stores each individual record as having a class and a student. This can then easily be filtered to show what students are on a course or what courses a student has.

Hope this helps. Its a little tricky to get your head around but once you do, you will be flying.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.