Creating a Voting system

Hey helpful people! Hopefully this question makes sense!
I am creating a stories app, where other users vote on the stories (a thumbs up or thumbs down vote). I want to know how to:

1. count the votes
  2. Where should the votes be recorded in the database (ie a component within the stories or a new collection?)
  3. how do i display the thumbs up votes as a percentage of all votes on the story page?

sorry if that didn’t make sense?

1 Like

Hi @robrea,

I would recommend to have a look at this tutorial: How to create a "Favorite" button - Adalo Resources
Also, this one could be useful: How to Allow Users to Follow Others - Adalo Resources
Replace “favorites” or “follow” with “Thumbs Up” and you may start from there :slight_smile:
If you use these as a basis, then you can allow users to “remove” their votes at any time.

Where to store the votes - that depends on what you want. If you don’t want to limit users from voting multiple times, you could just add 2 properties (upvote and downvote) for the story and then increase them.
Or you could create a separate “votes” database table, and store “relation to user” - “relation to story” - “upvoted” - “downvoted” records for each user-story vote. And then calculate the number based on Count.

Hi Victor,

Thanks so much for these resources. I have read through both, but still confused unfortunately (sorry!!). So:

Favourite Button tutorial:

1. My users essentially have 2 relationships to stories (a. 1 user can create many stories, b. many users can vote on many stories) - does this mean I have to create a different relationship for each type? ie 2 relationships in this case, one being 1:many and another many:many?
  2. There is functions for toggle but essentially I have a like and dislike button so I want each to be able to toggle on and off but also to restrict a user to a single option (either like or dislike) and also to a single vote (you can change your mind but its still only counted as one vote)
  3. Or do I set up 3 relationships a. 1 user can create many stories b. many users can like many stories c. many users can dislike many stories?

Follow Tutorial:

1. This was really great to know (although a little confusing!) so as soon as I understand the answers to the above questions I will implement the ‘follow’ but change it for the votes

You: Where to store the votes - that depends on what you want. If you don’t want to limit users from voting multiple times, you could just add 2 properties (upvote and downvote) for the story and then increase them
Me: I definitely want to limit users to not only voting once but also only allowing them to like or dislike, not both. So you are saying to either add votes as a property of stories or to create a new votes collection?

Also, is there a way to display percentage? ie what percentage of voters liked the story rather than just count?

Thanks so much for your help Victor!!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.