Creator of dialogue - how the status is recorded in databases? Or shall I say - how Adalo looks at dialogue creator - always a logged in user, or not? If I wanted to indicate who created a dialogue (Logged in user or current user) - will this be possible?

Talking about a dialogue creator status (Logged In User - vs - Current User) in the context of how this status (if needed) is indicated to Adalo (and recorded in a relevant database if needed so)…For the case that in the application there is a “Dialogues” database, and a “Creator” field exists there, and when we use CREATE button it offers a choice between Logged In User vs Current User logical trees at the root. The latter is most important (!) - the Adalo interface makes me choose between Current User and Logged In User at the root of all choices tree, when I have to define the field “Creator” for the “Dialogues” database when using CREATE or UPDATE buttons.

… that I have occasional cognitive dissonance with thoughts of the status of creator of the dialogue. On the one hand, a dialogue can, in a spherical vacuum, be created by anyone - therefore either by an authorized user or by a current user. But at the same time, since the dialogue is created only by clicking on the button, and only an authorized user can press the buttons, and the current one is just a context concept, no one other than an authorized user (logged in user) can initiate a dialogue … True or False? By the evening, the brain melts and all sorts of phantoms appear. I suppose it will be easier for someone to give me a clear answer in the morning. That is, if for me in relation to my device and my application on my device, someone is a current user “at the other end”, then for the application interface, on any end, the creator of the dialogue is always an authorized user without options, I’m talking about this, about actual button clicks, the current user cannot press them, they are always pressed by a real authorized user … It is so? If yes, then the status of the creator of the dialog in the database at the device of the creator of the dialogue, is always “logged in user” by default. And then this “choice” about who the creator of the dialogue is, as it were, is not needed, in fact. Or am I simplifying something. Or, complicating)))

Let’s take an example then. The dialogue was created not by me, but by you, and your name is Jane. Question - when I create a record about this (using CREATE button), will there be a record about this in my local database only? SO my database will be unique reflecting the situation from the point of view of my device only. If so, then a record about the creator of the dialogue is needed, and the current user Jane will be there. But I suspect that this does not work that way, and that the database is updated on each device. Then, if the dialogue was created by Jane, then the chat application on her device will create a corresponding entry, and one more entry on my device (if the dialogue is between us).

So now it turns out that records will be created both there and there.

Or what if they are created not on devices, but in a single copy on the Adalo server, and each application from the device gets access to the database in terminal mode. But then the question arises anew - with such an organization of the base, can the status of the creator of the dialogue be current? After all, this is a relative concept. For me, Jane in a dialogue with me is the current user, but for the chat application on Jane’s mobile device, she is an authorized user. Here you go. The cognitive dissonance.

Then here is one more option. When I create a new record in a “Dialogue” database on my device, the corresponding record is created on each device of each participant. At the same time, in place, by device, on Jane’s device, the creator of the dialogue will have the status of an authorized user, and on my device (if the dialogue was created by Jane), the status of the creator will already be the current user, although the mail of the creator of the dialogue will be the same here and there in these entries … This is the only option without dissonance. Within my model of intuitive groping, “how does Adalo work?”

Why so many efforts to understand this? Because when I need to fill the fields for those CREATE and UPDATE buttons, the Adalo itself pushes me into a choice between Current User and Logged In User. Which makes me wonder why so? In order to make the right choice I have to clearly understand how this works.

So now, trying to bring the above into the very point, here my questions are.

When two users on different devices start to chat via an Adalo-based app, what exactly happens when CREATE or UPDATE buttons get executed and a record is made in a “Dialogue” database about this, how exactly and where exactly is that made? Is it only made on a dialogue creator’s device to the local database? On both devices? On Adalo’s server database? How exactly does that work?

I only read your questions at the end. Assuming you implement the Chat feature in the tutorials, you are creating a conversation with messages between users in the Adalo database in the cloud.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.