Design consideration for Habit tracker

Hi all,

If anyone has recommendations building fast/scalable lists in Adalo I would appreciate some input.

I’m building a habit tracker with 3 main collections:
[Users]
[Tasks]
[Task Runs]

I’ve got external API doing daily replication GET/POST from [Tasks] to [Task Runs] in order to generate a copy of habits for users to complete in the new day.

The [Task Runs] collection will potentially get really large. Also, the API doesn’t allow for updating Reference fields e.g. Owner of the task so I have to filter using a mirror field e.g. Owner Email. Currently filtering by a mirror field in the list doesn’t even work, but if I get it to work, I’m sure loading the entire list and then doing filtering will create a massive lag?

Would you suggest using AirTable for example to store the Task Runs collection and have a query that already filters down to the User Email field? Or is there a better way of working with large lists within Adalo collections?

Thank you!

@Victor - tagging the workaround expert :slight_smile:

Hey @Vasily,

To start with: what figures are we talking about, e.g. how many users / tasks / task runs are expected within first few months?

Also: relationships in Adalo collections could be updated via API calls (see my latest video here Adalo + Make / Integromat: how to set relationship for Adalo record in Make scenario - YouTube).

So, more data is needed to provide some meaningful advice :slight_smile:

Best,
Victor.

Thanks for the video Victor. However I don’t understand how you’re able to create a record with a relationship field since the actual API POST call for creating records doesn’t contain relationship fields??
I can only for a PUT call and update a record with relationship fields when I have many-to-many between collections. There is no API to PUT into a relationship field with 1-to-many.
I’m using Parabola instead of integromat which doesn’t have a pre-built integration for Adalo but nevertheless it still uses the same API at the end of the day.

With regards to the size of the task and task runs collections, I’m not sure yet but I’m expecting task runs to increase exponentially e.g. 100 users with 5 tasks each will add 500 task runs each day, etc.