External collection - Query parameter not working

Hello,

@ashley
@Ben

[ Critical issue and an urgent fix needed please or let me know if I am missing anything]

Looks like there is a critical issue in adding query parameter for API end points. While setting up and testing api requests for different query parameters, added query parameter is not showing up in API test screen. So it is blocking in creating parameterised api test collections.

Also if there is an ability to add magic texts while adding query parameters would be a great feature to use external collection with different parameters in run time.

At the moment only one api end point can be configured. So it is not really useful for setting for real projects.

Screenshots are here ( screens are as per flow steps)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MCuKiIpIu6pCT1Tzjl94TqSd4lVeZyHA/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TMtJlgYS9J-M-GdK5UL7hl0H8d-dyFbP/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HndsaLa1RZ9csZW40ydii0qOdDNbT7P7/view?usp=sharing

Hi @iamharims, you have to put the query parameters into the filter of a list.
Here you have Magic Text available. see: Custom Data in API request? - #18 by karimoo and Problem with sheetdb and query parameters - #2 by karimoo

Yes, I agree with the @iamharims that we need the ability to add magic texts while adding query parameters coz 2-3 clients drop their idea due to this.

1 Like

It is needed in case of dynamic API endpoints

I see. In this case you need to use Custom actions.

See: Custom Action Outputs are Live!

@karimoo - The issue I am talking about External collection. I think you were pointing me to custom action. Custom action is not logically useful in case external collection and listing collection data based on dynamic queries. Custom action is completely built for different purpose where it is for trigging third party endpoints and so on. [ Let us not get confused using custom action to construct external collection business logics. if we try to use work around for main business logics in realtime Apps performance and UX will go toss. So I think surly there is a issue/ missing feature in external collection]

I have tried all the option but no help yet. As i explained in the issue detail, we definitely need fix for this to make use of external collection for dynamic parameters.

I have also discussed this with Adalo training experts and got confirmed that it needs a fix.

Thanks

I completely agree with you @ishantanusrivastava. I hope Adalo will take this issue to get fixed ASAP. I am badly waiting for this as my 3 apps ideas are blocked. :unamused:

@iamharims Just wanted to point what workarounds are available today. You may want to support GraphQL support for external collections | Voters | Adalo which is basically the request for dynamic endpoints.

ok added a thumbs up.
I think we should push Adalo definitely to take this issue to get it fixed as heigh priority. It will be a big win for both Adalo and customers ( like me :slight_smile:) to finish and bring our Apps to market ASAP.

@Ben I think you have to look into this

@ishantanusrivastava - Thanks for following up on this issue. I have been trying external collection feature for different types of APIs. everywhere I see some or the other blockers.

Also, If we are able to link API response to screens/pages it would be good to map selected key values to a parameter on screen. [ It should be something like what we have in Custom actions. Something like getting the response and select which data we want and link to them to screen. In this way, we can effectively use API data to display on screens. ]

I am happy to available for a call to discuss more use cases.

Also, If we are able to link API response to screens/pages it would be good to map selected key values to a parameter on screen. [ It should be something like what we have in Custom actions. Something like getting the response and select which data we want and link to them to screen. In this way, we can effectively use API data to display on screens. ]

What you describe here is exactly how custom actions work as mentioned above by @karimoo. Custom Action Outputs are Live!

You are able to setup actions for the responses from API’s in a collection and make use of them where required.

@anon78309838 - Thanks for the reply. I think still what I am expecting is not clear.

The way I am looking to use the API response is, I should be able to display the API data dynamically ( For different query fields ) on app screens when the user visits the page. Think about a public app ( Example, Weather App ) which does not require users to log in. In that case, if I use custom actions and create collections for each user who uses the app to see the weather info of their city, will be a right way to achieve what I am looking for. Please suggest if I am missing anything.

@ishantanusrivastava - Could you please add your points as we discussed.

Looking at the documentation I cannot see the possibility of an “All” for the /country endpoint.

I setup a test for the /countries endpoint which has an “All” array and the test was successful.

I think perhaps your query for this API is not correct or you need to go one step back from that dayone endpoint and then filter down.

@anon78309838 - Thanks for your reply. I will have a look and try what you have suggest.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.