Getting a single record from an external collection

Hi all,

Got a challenge that seems like a really easy thing to do, but can’t seem to figure it out.
I’m parsing a places list from the here[dot]com api that returns a list based on a query.
I have a separate user favorites collection in Adalo that stores the relevant ID.

Now I want to be able to get the details of a specific place (record).
Here[dot]com supplies an api-endpoint for this (Guide - HERE Geocoding & Search API - HERE Developer)

But Adala really doesn’t want to swallow this. All the data is there. But the ‘Get all’ adalo endpoint keeps throwing errors. I really only want to use the ‘get one’ functionality.

Really hoping someone can point me in the right direction for this. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hi @StevenU,

If you need only one result, and you’re able to create (form) the request for it, you can try to use Custom Action instead of External Collections.

Best regards, Victor.

Hi @Victor,

Thanks! Doesn’t feel logical to temporarily create a local duplicate record for data that already exists. But works as a workaround!

Hi @StevenU,

I don’t have a full picture of what you’d like to do and don’t quite get the thing about duplicates… if you already have records in Adalo, then how you got them into it? As I understood you couldn’t connect your External collection to Adalo…

Anyway, if the solution works for you, that’s great.

Best regards, Victor.

Hi Victor,

The data is external. It already exists and I don’t have to do anything with the data, just load & display it.
That’s why I first tried accessing it as an external collection. But that wouldn’t let me get just one specific record. Now with the custom action it works, but I first have to temporarily store it in an Adalo collection, before I can display it. This last part feels a bit unneccasary. But as I said it works :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help!

1 Like