I want to know how to display “…” while chatting

Is there a way to show “…” when chatting in Adalo?

The effect we are looking for is that when chatting in real time, we want to be able to see what the other person is typing in a natural way.

The closest images are “Whatsapp”, “Instagram DM”, and “Facebook Messenger”.

I thought about using input as a trigger to display “…”, but I couldn’t find a way to make it happen.

I would appreciate it if you could give me a solution or an alternative plan.
Thank you for your time.

And connect the “…” with Text input and then make it sometime visible and say when Logged In user → Input → More than 1 then show the “…”

Thank you.

The method you taught me does not seem to be the way to display “…” on my page when my chat partner is typing.

Do you have any other suggestions?

I am currently doing it on my end, lemme make a cloneable.

1 Like

Hello!

Thanks again for your help!

Would it be possible for you to share the clone application with us?

I’m sorry to bother you, but I need your confirmation!

I am working on it, as its hard for me to hack it around to make it work for other user as adalo only allows “Logged In User”

1 Like

Thank you for going to the trouble!

So here is what I been through, it’s currently impossible as try around hacks doesn’t work, Problem is Adalo makes it that the Current Chat User sees the Current chat user but Not Logged In user to see it same it goes the same way with Logged In User and the Current User, now I tried even the chat template Adalo provides but seems like nothing is going to work, so apologies.

1 Like

I am happy to see any other experts or part of community to solve this!

Good lucks with your app! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Mono,

This is possible to do in Adalo, but as for me it doesn’t looks very nice and the solution is a bit too bulky.
Here is the logic as I think.

In order to display “typing”, the app need to know that (a) user is on the chat messages screen, (b) user has typed something into the message input box during last X seconds.

I can see the following way how we could discover that. It is to (a) save periodically the value from the input box, (b) store old and new value, and (c) compare this values: if they are identical, then user didn’t type anything in the input. If they are nor, then we can show “typing” label.

It is possible to save the input value with the countdown timer trick, see here: Adalo experiments: how to create auto save for input - YouTube
I’ve expanded this solution to store both values and display the “typing” based on the difference. It works and is based on Adalo chat template. Hopefully I will find some time to record the video about it.

However, in my personal opinion, Adalo at the moment is not very well suited for a “real-time” chat apps. The platform capabilities are great for building something like low-intense messaging modules (say, support chats, or feedback, or etc.), where several seconds delays are acceptable. But as for me I wouldn’t try to build a 2nd WhatsApp on Adalo (at least at the moment) :slight_smile:

Best regards, Victor.

I agree here with Victor, but as for curiosity how is it possible, I have tried as much methods.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.