Lost data on link press

I have a button that when pressed is only passing 1 of the 3 data tables. It says in the link it is sending all 3 but when I look at the available data on the destination page it shows one available and the other 2 as unavailable?

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I’m afraid this is something that Adalo haven’t solved yet :smirk: I’ve been experiencing this all the time and I think the only solution is to re link it again :worried:

1 Like

Thanks, only way i could make it work was delete page and build a new one. everey time i re linked same issue.

Hi there, thought I would chime in and give a basic overview of how linked data works with Adalo from my understanding.

Here’s the scenario: Let’s say you have 3 screens – screens 1, 2 and 3 – and screen 1 sends user to screen 2, however, screen 3 also links to screen 2, but does not send the same user, then the data being sent from screen 1 would be invalidated and would not work.

If you wanted screen 2 to have the user data, then all screens that link to screen 2 must send the same data.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. But isn’t it very limiting? However, I believe this is not the only issue as I’ve personally experienced occasions when I knew I was linking but the data wasn’t sent :thinking:

Hi @zachbharris – I too am having lots of trouble with this so thank you so much for this.

So what you are saying is that in order to wire a screen properly, any screen that is expecting data must have every other screen that connects to it send the same data, even though one screen is already sending that data? Is this correct?

In a different scenario in the image below, is option 2 (Green) the proper way to connect screens?

1 Like

I think it is quite a serious issue because I am 100% sure I’ve experienced several times that data wasn’t sent even in the scenario explained above. It’s really annoying to work on app and find out later the data is suddenly missing where it wasn’t missing before. What can you do then? Re-link everything again? Yes, that may be the solution (do it with dozens of screens) but then when it happens after a while again? Same scenario… Can someone please help us with that :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

I think it is quite a serious issue because I am 100% sure I’ve experienced several times that data wasn’t sent even in the scenario explained above. It’s really annoying to work on app and find out later the data is suddenly missing where it wasn’t missing before. What can you do then? Re-link everything again? Yes, that may be the solution (do it with dozens of screens) but then when it happens after a while again? Same scenario… Can someone please help us with that :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

@Tommen

I suspect that the problem here lies in the misuse of the tool rather than the tool itself. The way data links within Adalo is very robust and the problem can almost always be determined down a misunderstanding on how it works. :slight_smile:

So what you are saying is that in order to wire a screen properly, any screen that is expecting data must have every other screen that connects to it send the same data, even though one screen is already sending that data? Is this correct?

@hobokencloud

Yes that is exactly correct. Even if one screen is sending the correct data, the data from the other screen is missing and therefore the integrity of that data is not accurate and therefore nothing will pass through.

Scenario 2 is an ideal way to link data correctly and maintain integrity. However, the 2nd option in scenario 2 will work just as well. The only minor error in that diagram is that in screen 2, it would not display “current user” twice but only once (although it comes from 2 locations).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.