🏛️ Q2 Town Hall coming soon... what questions do you want answered?

Jesse got fired from Adalo, he stated on his Twitter. RIP communication I guess?..

3 Likes

@Briggsy Perhaps no townhall meeting now…

1 Like

Honestly, I’m really sad that Jesse and others left.

3 Likes

I think that the increase and the change in prices is a consequence of the economic problems that jesse talked about on his twitter.

Well. This is concerning.

Hey guys,

Greetings from Adalo-land.

It was a really sad thing losing Jesse, he was one of my best friends at Adalo and someone who I now count as a close friend in my personal life. I believe his journey forward is full of potential and that he is someone who can do anything.

We’re going to share more info to the community soon.

However for now I want to say that yes, we are still on for the upcoming town hall. Please keep the questions coming.

I also want to say I have never been as optimistic on Adalo as I am today.

With speed improvements last week, our recent app academy, versions, geolocation and many other features that we’ve shipped I think it’s the most on point our product and engineering team has ever been.

While our community has lost a great manager, the Adalo ecosystem is the best it has ever been.

6 Likes

Well… the feature is only partially completed as external user collection was left behind.

Why does it seem like your service is getting slower, even though you’ve supposedly performed backend upgrades to make it faster? My users are not happy, and thus I am not happy. After several months of building (and paying for service), I am not the least bit happy at the thought of having to go elsewhere and start over.

App performance (backend performance) should be top priority; new components and features are useless if the app won’t run.

Also, is your staff still not working on weekends? Is there a plan to change that? Kinda need folks from Adalo on 24/7 call, in the event systems go down (which has happened before and no one from your side to address it because it was a Saturday).

Hey all,

I’m going to compile these questions together over the next few days then work on Adalo side to conduct then next Town Hall.

If anyone would like to ask a question please add it now. Also, feel free to favourite questions you feel strongly about so that I put them at the top of our list to get answered :smiley:

2 Likes

Not really a question but here goes:

Additional database features would be a big boon to the framework:

• Allow user-specified delimiters on CSV import operations. When importing any sentence with a comma in it, the sentence breaks at the comma and fills the next field. Whenever I import I have to first replace all commas with something like the :heart: [alt+3] character in a word processor, then go back and manually replace often dozens of :heart:s with commas.
  • Search and replace within the database would be another useful feature for the above-mentioned reasons.
  • Another nice to have feature would be the ability to sort the database by something other than creation date.

While we’ve all become accustomed to using an orphan screen to hold various inputs and what not, it would be nice if there were an overlay on each screen that could be used to place stuff like page-specific inputs, debugging inputs and even notes. The overlay could be toggled on/off with a keystroke and would not be part of publication.

1 Like

Something else that seems to have been raised a couple of times in the forums but no one has a good answer:

What are best practices when it comes to security of apps? What is the best way or best place to store API keys (for external API calls)? What is best way to setup new users that need a temporary password?

I use the above things but have no idea if the way I’m storing API keys/user passwords is safe and secure. For both native and web apps.

Thanks!

2 Likes

CSV literally stands for Comma-Separated Values. That’s exactly what that file is supposed to do, separate fields by commas. It would be cool to see if there was a way to separate fields without having to use a comma, maybe like a semicolon or something, so yeah, maybe the ability to import a csv with a custom delimiter. +1

I like this idea. +1

I’d like more info on this also, definitely some sort of “security best practices” would be helpful/beneficial. +1

2 Likes

That’s kind of besides the point. Many, if not most, databases allow the user to set the delimiter to anything from a tab to a dollar sign or indeed any unicode character. Limiting the delimiter to commas is a huge burden. It’s like having vowel-separated-values. I’ll let you imagine the chaos.

Would like to request, again, that the Zapier configuration to move away from the RecordID we don’t have access to unless the record was literally created by zapier in that instance (which has only limited usecases, at least not the use cases I need).

Or at least offer other ways to search data instead of RecordID being the only and required method.

Should be able to search for a user in the database by email, given that it already prevents multiple users registering with the same email.

This aspect has over complicated what should be a simple configuration / integration process with zapier. Namely, external payments.

I’m in agreement with you… What part was unclear? Lol. That’s exactly what I said, it would be cool to be able to use a custom delimiter.

1 Like

I’ll add one more wish to my database wish list:

When copying a database there are 2 options, Share Database and Copy Database which doesn’t, at all, by any definition on the planet earth, ever “Copy Database.”

It copies the structure of the database only, deleting all the data. That has marginal value at best.

How often do we make two versions of an app, a DEMO and a PRO version? The ideal work flow is to make the PRO, copy everything, data included, delete some data, call it a DEMO, publish. This can take mere minutes compared to potentially hours since the CSV import/export functions are kind of sucky for reasons mentioned above.

Please give us the third option of ACTUALLY copying the databases when copying the app.

@DaBoo I may be wrong, but this question looks rhetorical (to me)
It reads like a feature request, NOT a Town Hall type of question.

@DaBoo :

@Toddy Well, gee-whiz, I put a square peg in a round hole. How naughty of me!

1 Like

@DaBoo :clown_face: