Random Image Search & Display

Is there any way to use the Image feature to display a random image based on specific words? I’m sure I have to use an external API of some sort but I’m not too sure where to start. Thanks!

Hi @aguuber,

Welcome to the forum!
You might want to have a look at these videos by @pford:

Best,
Victor.

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome @Victor, I actually found this yesterday as well. They actually helped a lot. Thank you @pford.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of your helpful videos and advice @Victor. I followed along with the video and am now trying to update an image on a users profile from the Pixabay search results. But, I am struggling to get it all to work. I have a couple of ideas of how to fix it and was curious if you happened to have any advice or thoughts on which might be more successful.

From what I’ve looked at so far, I believe I need to either:

A) download the photo from the Pixabay URL so that I can add it to my existing collection in Adalo or
B) Use two photos with conditional visibility on the profile – one configured to show the user’s uploaded image file if it exists and the other configured to leverage the Pixabay image URL if not. That way, only one image would actual appear to the user – even though in the app builder there would be two images.

Just let me know if you need any more context to understand. Appreciate any advice you might be able to provide. Even though I am relatively brand new to the community, I can tell you I’ve already benefited immensely from your posts and Youtube videos. Thank you again for taking the time to help all of us newbies out.

The answer for anyone who may have been curious is that Pixabay API does not currently support the functionality I was looking for. Instead, for anyone interested in putting together something similar, I recommend using the Unsplash API instead. Once I switched over (the process is pretty much the same as Victor describes for Pixabay), the problem just went away. Thanks again for the great videos.

1 Like