Scaling Up: Prioritizing Performance on Adalo

Hmm things look ok for the images to me… so will likely be needing to get some of the other speed improvements Adalo is doing to help out.

Maybe someone else has some ideas that can help out.

Thank you @TonyD for your support intention!

2 Likes

Hello Everyone !!!

We are in workweek 5 and marching towards mid of Q1 2021. Can we all get an update on when Region based sharding will be live in production? This is THE CRITICAL update that most of us here are waiting for to resolve mobile app/Dev IDE slowness.

Really Appreciate if we get an update from Team Adalo on when to expect this in Q1 2021.

11 Likes

Hello @David, hope we get to see some updates in this regard from the team this month. I know like me there are others who regularly visit these forums every day in hopes of an update regarding this topic. With the recent GDPR compliance update I’m hopeful that things are on track behind the scenes. Hope to hear about the performance upgrades soon :smiley:

4 Likes

I love Adalo, but is very slow

2 Likes

After some times dedicated to details and learning - I know now that Adalo is great.
Some errors and delays are more related (in my case) to some limits of know how. I understand that No Code means no coding, but still implies some principles and work.

3 Likes

i already hit 1000 MAA and my platform is SLOW AS HELL, please ask me for money.

@David any timelines that you can share?

2 Likes

It’s been more than a month and I am yet to get a response here from the Adalo team on performance improvements.

We were given a timeline - Q1 2021 and this is going to end in a couple of weeks. This is completely Black-Box for all the app developers here.

All I can do is to make a request again to Adalo.

“Really Really Appreciate it if we get an update from Team Adalo on when to expect performance improvements”.

6 Likes

I really do feel like I’m sitting on my hands until this improvement is made. Its crucial to have at this point.

2 Likes

@jencass97 Me too!
My app is fully-baked and launched on both stores, but I’m so scared to even market it out because of poor user performance. For example - our return to home button (simple action here) takes 45-90 seconds to work. I had to turn down earned media opportunities last week because of this.

I just don’t get it. If they’re backlogged in engineering, hire. If they don’t have money to hire, fundraise. This market potential is huge and will be won by the platform that delivers.

It’s honestly rude to all of their current customers in not only being slow to deliver performance updates but also to keep us in the dark about it all.

5 Likes

I’ve lost testers/users due to slow performance. Everything is built out and working but the performance will always make me lose every time.

I don’t know what the issue is but they gave us a deadline/timeline and haven’t said a word since. I feel like we were just pacified.

1 Like

Yeah, following this.

We’ve heard the same issues from our colleagues at other agencies.

Honestly even with everything built out we might be better off moving to a different platform altogether or change or workflow, as opposed to setting high standards and expectations for clients and failing to deliver, thaanks to Adalo.

As an agency we might as well just dig our own grave.

Adalo, you are hunting business - and that’s bad for business. “Your success is our success”, you said it yourself - thus far, a bit skeptical about your promises especially in the absence of transparency.

Seems it’s going around.

4 Likes

Look I am dutch and we are known for being direct so I will be.

I’ve got my app ready too. I choose Adalo because the beautiful interface and the potential it has because the way it is setup. I developed (next to my school) for years and it never worked out for me because it was simply to much for one person for what wanted. Adalo finally enabled me to create!

Unfortunately the past few weeks it comes off like you guys are done, like Adalo is packing, atleast for me.

It’s just what I experience.

I hope it’s quiet because you guys are working on great features, I really hope. If not it would mean a lot of great people with great ideas wouldn’t have the means to create awesome apps for now.

4 Likes

You hit the nail with this: “This market potential is huge and will be won by the platform that delivers.”

For the last few weeks, while I’ve been waiting for updates on Adalo’s performance, I’ve found several new entrants, like yourvone.com, budibase, etc. I have started testing them out, and feature and performance wise they’re at a stage where Adalo was one year ago. While it’ll be a bummer if Adalo fails to deliver and we have to rebuild in other platforms, that’s exactly what we’re planning to do now as the end of Q1 nears closer and closer. Before Adalo I’ve tried several other platforms like Bubble, Coda, and several more, but Adalo felt like something too good to be true, and right now, the main bottleneck is not features, but performance. And not incremental performance gains, but a whole revamp. If Adalo can’t deliver here, we’ll have to halt our plans and hope another platform can deliver here.

I am still going to keep checking this forum twice every day just for some good news of all the changes (regional servers, calcuations in servers, etc) and hope that they’ll make a hell of difference for apps running in South East Asia. But I am getting more and more concerned after the lack of any communication from them :frowning:

5 Likes

@AddyEdwin I would have to agree with you on this point, performance is more of a priority than features.

2 Likes

Hey Everyone!

First of all, I want to say up front that this is long overdue. I realize that you all have been asking for updates for awhile now so apologizing at this point doesn’t really feel like it will make up for not sharing an update sooner. So here it goes…

When we first started prioritizing infrastructure and performance back in October, we realized that the stability of our platform was in serious need of some love — so we spent a couple of months working on projects to make Adalo more stable. We felt like a performant app doesn’t matter that much if you can’t depend on it being up and running all the time.

And at the end of December we shared some exciting updates around that effort that we put in there. From increased available resources on our servers, to autoscaling to handle the load, to implementing automated alerts when the system experiences stress, to a status page to keep you all up to date we felt like our systems were in a much better place.

So now the question is what have we done since those projects in January? While infrastructure & performance have remained a top priority for us there were 2 large things that came up that needed the focus on that front. The first was that our build process for iOS and Android was quickly getting out of hand, mostly because so many of y’all are publishing apps to the app stores. Which is great! The growth of Adalo has been amazing. But we were starting to see queue times of over 16 hours for all to build new versions of your apps and this was continuing to get longer every day. It was clear that our initial build infrastructure wasn’t in a good place to handle all of this. And then second, while every software product has bugs our backlog was starting to grow to the point that we needed to address that to produce more bug-free code ensuring the stability of your apps. Our infrastructure team needed to do a few projects to address these.

On the builds side of the equation, I’m happy to announce that we’ve completely eliminated our queue times. We did a few different projects here to accomplish this. The first is that previously we only had one build server running all of our builds, so we’ve now got multiple servers set up to handle more and more builds. Second, we took care of a number of the most common issues that were causing builds to fail (for example if you had a component like Google Sign-In set up incorrectly or you had a special character in your app’s name) and made sure that all of those errors would not cause the build to fail. And finally, we made sure that the actual build statuses that you see are now accurate and up to date while it’s building (instead of it being stuck in a queued state). Apologies to anyone who had been frustrated with not being able to get a build of your app in a timely manner, but we’re in a much better spot now!

And then in terms of our infrastructure efforts around producing more bug-free code, I’m pleased to say that we just wrapped up a few key projects there as well. Previously we just had one staging (test) environment and then our main production environment. But now not only do we have multiple staging environments, but we also have staging environments around our native builds as well. This allows us to more easily and quickly test all of the different code in all of the different ways your apps run (iOS, Android, and on the Web). We also had a week where we swarmed on bugs and added another full time QA team member. All of these efforts have reduced our cycle time on high impact bugs from 7 days to 2 days!

It’s possible that you’re getting to this point in the update and you feel like we made the wrong decision for our infrastructure focus to be split between stability, builds, testing environments, & performance and I can respect that, but I’m trying to be open about what we’ve been up to, why we’ve been up to those things, and where we’re headed. I also want to make sure that I make it clear that we certainly thought we would have more performance updates for you at this exact moment. That being said, we are working on performance projects, and we’re committed to continuing to work on performance. In terms of more specifics there, our priority right now is on the end app performance for users in your apps and even more specifically we’re focused on how to make actions trigger and update the data in your apps faster, how we can have lists load faster, and how we can speed up the initial screen loads for apps.

We hear you all & recognize just how important it is — so much so that we have actually paused some new features so our team can focus on performance.

Finally, I wanted to announce that we’re going to be having our quarterly community town-hall event on March 31st where we’ll be able to share more about performance improvements that we will have launched & other ones in progress, our overall roadmap, and hopefully we’ll be in a spot to share some pretty big news regarding our team and the future of Adalo. @anon28807528 is spot on with what we’ve been up to. :wink:

As always, thank you all for building on Adalo. Looking forward to chatting with you all more at our community town-hall event! (We’ll be sharing a registration link for that in the coming days.)

19 Likes

Thanks David, while I understand the need to focus on a lot of that, if the apps end users don’t use the apps because they are slow, everything else before that point becomes redundant very quickly.
I really do hope that the vast majority of Adalo Dev resources are now focused on App experience speed. We have been seeing a lot of nice to have things for a while like fonts etc, so not seeing progress on the essential Must Have of decent in app performance has been frustrating.

PS I hope that you and your team participate and respond more often here, as the silence often only compounds frustration.

9 Likes

I’m very glad that you take the time to do this much needed update, isn’t what i expected.

My next question is, if your PC/MAC takes ages to load each program that you use, for months, what do you do?

My users are killing me. i stop advertising, and to be honest, stop dreaming.

Let’s hope for a better time, in time.

Again, best to you all Team Adalo.

1 Like

I really do appreciate this response @David!
I want to encourage your entire team that you’re building something with MASSIVE opportunity here and growing pains are a good sign. It means people need your solution!

3 Likes