A Conversation: Native Apps Vs. PWA's

Okay, so I have been playing around on Adalo for almost a year now and it is time to have a conversation: Native Apps Vs. PWA’s.
Personally, for my own app I have bounced back and forth between Native Apps and PWA’S. The reason is simple: MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.

Both Apple and Google take 30% and I am sorry but that is way to much money. Think about this for a moment. If the App stores take 30% and taxes come out to be about 30% and then you have a few other operating fee’s, you are only receiving about 50% of your money (at best.) Is having your App in an App Store really worth that much money. I would argue that it is NOT worth the money.
I have tested my App as a website (PWA web app) and as Native App (testflight.) I recently submitted my app to the Apple App Store (and it was accepted) but I quickly started to think about the cost (30%) and now have serious doubts. When the app is downloaded and installed on a mobile device it runs almost as good as a Native App, so why give up the 30%?
I would love to hear other’s thoughts on this. What is your opinion?
Thanks
Jason D.

Personal opinion, Native apps are:

• Smoother
  • More trusted
  • Easier to promote to a new audience within app stores

I think it boils down to your business format. If you have a niche group of customers that will use your PWA with minimal marketing and it functions well on the web, run that and save yourself the 30% App Store cut.

Consider the 30% commission as rent for a premises. If you’ve got a great physical product to sell but nowhere to sell it from, you might not sell much. Paying that 30% gives you the location (audience) to sell your product.

Only you will know the financials and which is more viable for your business. I would assume that if you’re running it as a business then you will have run the numbers for Native vs PWA, ultimately giving you the most profitable path.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.