App Store Restore Purchase

After adding in-app payments for Android and Apple,

Apple rejected the app, because of restoring in app purchases.

" Guideline 3.1.1 - Business - Payments - In-App Purchase

We found that your app offers in-app purchases that can be restored but does not include a “Restore Purchases” feature to allow users to restore the previously purchased in-app purchases, as specified in the “Restoring Purchase Products” section of the In-App Purchase Programming Guide:

“Users restore transactions to maintain access to content they’ve already purchased. For example, when they upgrade to a new phone, they don’t lose all of the items they purchased on the old phone. Include some mechanism in your app to let the user restore their purchases, such as a Restore Purchases button.”

Next Steps

To restore previously purchased in-app purchase products, it would be appropriate to provide a “Restore” button and initiate the restore process when the “Restore” button is tapped by the user. Note that automatically restoring purchases on launch will not resolve this issue."

Obviously, I can make the button, but is there anything to access this response from Apple when they hit the Restore button?

right now the in-app purchases component does not expose a way to restore purchases (like described).

Could you give some more details on this part?

It seems like apple feels like this functionality should either be removed, or reimplemented using the restore purchases flow (which is not yet supported by the component)

let’s see if we can figure this out

I am not sure how they determined that it offers restored purchases. It seems that this reviewer was a bit more strict than the average reviewer. They also rejected it because I gave them a user account that had already subscribed and they couldn’t find the payment button.

I am going to resubmit it without the restore feature, but with the user needing to pay and see if that works for them.

1 Like

cool, let us know how that worked out!

Arnt you obligate to include a restore function? I saw that in the guidelines.

it depends on how you implemented the IAP. The guidelines specify that the purchased item should always be available on multiple devices. @pushingpandas could you share some more details on how you set up the IAP component in your app? If i remember correctly, they treat consumable IAPs differently from non-consumable IAPs.

Under 3.1.1 in the guidelines

Any credits or in-game currencies purchased via in-app purchase may not expire, and you should make sure you have a restore mechanism for any restorable in-app purchases.

They explicitly mention ‘restorable’, i think this is where the reviewers might agree or disagree.

Switching it to a consumable got it approved in the App Store.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.