Automatic form counting

Hi,

is it possible to automatically calculate with the values that someone has just entered into the form and then save them in the database when you click on create/save button?

For example you already have in database some value x=100 and then you enter the value into the form y=10. Is it possible to automate x*y=z and save it to the database?

Thanks

Petr

Hi @JuchelkaPetr,

Yes, it is possible. If you want the new value to be displayed instantly, you can add a custom formula to the text field.
And you can save the calculated value to the database by adding Action to the button.

Thanks, but do you know why I cant see form inputs in the options?

@JuchelkaPetr you will have to use custom inputs to make it work.
I think it doesn’t work with forms at the moment.

But it is possible after that make a SUM of that text column? Even if there is a number? Thank for your help.

You can use built-in “Sum”, “Average” etc. only for Number variables, not the text ones.
What are you trying to achieve? May be there is another way to do that :slight_smile:

I’m trying to make a company statement of work in our construction company. I want the workers to be able to record the work themselves.

So I have individual items they work on, each item has its value for which they do the work.

So I determine the value they work for (x). And they fill in the form once a month in the form, how much of this item they worked (y). So I need to multiply x * y=z to write in the database that (z) and then add up for all items how much they worked (SUM of all Z).

As you can see, today I can read from the table the individual items on which they work on a given construction site. And I need them to be able to write once a month for each item, how much they made and how much money they make for all the items together.

Once more in english

So now I can save in database X, Y as number and Z as a text but I need somehow save Z as number so I can make a sum of Z

Ok, now I see.
Why have you decided to store Z as Text?

As for me, the database might look like the following:
DB-Workers [Name; CostPerHour; link to DB-Works - one worker can do many DB-Works]
DB-Projects [ProjectName; link to DB-Works - one project can have many DB-Works]
DB-WorkTypes [WorkType name - to be able to select from list]
DB-Works [WorkName; DB-Project; DBWorkType; DB-Worker who does it, Number of hours, Total cost for this work].

So when the worker adds some work, the extra record in DB-Works collection will be created. When creating this record, you set:

• WorkName - text, coud be anything
  • DB-Project - project should be selected
  • DB-WorkType - which type of work, selected by worker
  • DB-Worker - set automatically (if the worker adds the work) or manually (if manager does it)
  • Number of Hours - set manually
  • Total Cost - calculated based on DBWorker->CostPerHour * Number of Hours.

Then you can have the sum of all TotalCosts for the worker, if you create a list of DB-Works filtered by DB-Worker.

Hi Victor,

sorry that I response after long time. I didn’t have time to build an application. I still can’t understand how to enter an order to calculate Total cost when it can’t be used as custom formula for a number in DB.

thanks

Petr

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.