Changes to Google Play Store Build Upload Requirements

Hello all! Google has recently made a change (as of August 1st, 2021) to the app file types that are uploaded. The main difference is that .APK files are no longer accepted for new apps after this date, but can still be uploaded to update Play Store apps published before August 1st, 2021. Google’s new required format is an .AAB file which affords greater security, greatly reduced app size (~50% reduction or more), and greater control of your app releases should you ever leave Adalo or want to move an existing app to Adalo.

No immediate action is required on your part as our devs have updated the build server to automatically generate the correct build file type based on if your Adalo app has builds before or after August 1, 2021. However, please be sure to check the updated documentation for publishing to Google Play Store (see link below)! As always, if you have questions or concerns, please post here in the forum or for major issues, please submit a ticket.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot for this, I was worried about when this would happen. Just wondering what you mean by the above quote?

Good question! With APKs, all Adalo apps are signed by Adalo before they are packaged, but with the new AAB file, you get more control over the signing key and can revoke it at any time to keep better reins on who can publish a build to your Play Store bundle ID.

1 Like

Excellent. The signing of keys has caught me out in the past switching from Native Dev to Expo to Adalo. Thats good news then also :slight_smile:

Yes good point! This also makes it much easier to switch TO Adalo as well. I’ve updated the post to mention this as well. Thank you!

Is there a way to replace your current app in playstore which is apk with .aab?

1 Like

There is, but it requires opting in to Google Play Store app signing. It’s not difficult to do, but at the moment it does require that makers submit a support ticket. In the future, there will be a way for makers to self-service this process.

Will .aab make app faster?

The smaller size could possibly improve speed some, but there’s nothing about the .aab itself that would increase speed dramatically. Mainly because much of your app’s functionality is handled off-device.