Connecting to an Azure SQL database

Is it possible to connect Adalo to an azure SQL database. Meaning I want to create, delete, update and view records from that database instead of using the Adalo database. I have an existing customer and I want to build an app on top of their existing data.

Hi @NewfangledSoftware,

Welcome to the forum!

Adalo can work with External Collections (aka DB Tables) via REST API (see here: External Collections with APIs - Adalo Resources). The external collection needs to have the correctly working endpoints.

Quick search shows that Azure SQL databases could be exposed to “outer world” using Odata. See here: Query Azure SQL Database using Rest-API and here https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introduction-to-open-data-protocol-odata-and-sql-azure/.

Hope this helps.

Best regards, Victor.

Good day Victor,

Thank you for the reply. I saw those resources but had hoped someone in the community had found another way to do it. I was willing to collab with someone on it. The Odata service mentioned in the links no longer seems to exist. So my guess is that I need to create something custom. Will have to contact a traditional developer I think.

You need Instant GraphQL APIs & REST APIs on Databases

Creates API endpoints to SQL Database. We use it with Azure SQL instances. Technically it’s a GraphQL first solution but it does allow you to create no-code REST API’s… Best of both worlds and a really good tool. SaaS or self hosted depending on your preference.

You could also use PowerAutomate to create REST API endpoints to a Azure SQL database but it’s a lot more work etc.

Odata is very 1990’s…

1 Like

The Power Automate option would be a winner as I have built their entire internal ecosystem with a combination of SQL, PowerApps connecting to SQL and then Power Automate to deal with any workflows. Not sure how to create the Power Automate connector though.

Check out the HTTP Request Trigger and Response Action. It’s been a while since we did it but essentially the Request Trigger is your API endpoint, you then perform your SQL or whatever business logic action(s) and finally send your response back. Make sure you add some sort of auth token and validate it before doing the SQL to protect your data.

Not as neat as the Hasura solution but doable…

Checking out Hasura now. API’s are definitely my weakness so working through is. Thanks for that.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.