Database Properties

Hey all,
I’m building out the database and I’m confused about something. Maybe you can help me?

In one of my database collections, there are several choices. In my case, they are user asset types (what kind of asset is it, checking/savings, stocks & bonds, retirement account, etc.?) and I’ve entered these as multiple choice, each kind of asset either being true or false so that the user can check which asset type is applicable to them.

That said, I also need a corresponding “Amount” field so they can enter the asset’s value. The question is, do I need one (1) “amount” property, or do I need multiple “amount” properties, one for every kind of asset the user may have?

1 Like

I’m not an expert.

(really helps to add screen shots to get help with stuff like this)

But, I’ll take a guess at a solution.

Use a drop down, not a true / false / multi-selection

1. Create 1 collection that contains only the options
  2. Create 1 record in that collection for each option

( 3 records)

1. Create a relation between that collection and whatever collection you are referring to:

It’s probably whatever form you are creating.

1. The “Amount” with be a number field in that form next to / under the dropdown.
    (you’ll have to work that out. It should be the easiest part. And it may only take ONE field, since it is now a drop down.

If the user is able to pick multiple choices at once, the dropdown option (as described above) will not be the correct solution. Someone else or myself MIGHT be able to help if you share screen shots.

Thank you for your reply. The whole story is this is an app for a user to apply for financing. So in the database I have created a collection called the “Application” meaning, the application for financing. The relationship is, a user can have one or multiple applications but an application can only belong to one user.

Now within that application are many questions. One of those questions is regarding the type of assets they own. Because Adalo only allows for collections but not sub-collections, I have put all questions pertaining the application under the application collection. But if I understand you correctly, you’re suggesting that I break up the application into several sections, each section would be a collection. I don’t mind doing it that way as long as I can keep track of which information belongs to which user, and under which application.
I’ve included a couple of screenshots of the database as it currently is. The first shot shows the different kinds of assets a user may have. The second shot shows the corresponding info gathered on those assets.

Screenshot 2024-04-11 10.15.14 AM

1 Like

This is what I am saying:

1 Like