External Collection from Arduino Cloud

Can someone help me setting up an External Collection in Adalo that updates from an Arduino Cloud “Thing” via the Arduino Cloud API? I have my API key from Arduino Cloud, but I can’t figure out how to set up the Auth settings in the External Collection setup.

@Victor any experience with this?

@tyfischer726 I believe you will need to use an external platform as an intermediary between Adalo and Arduino cloud.

Based on what I see here https://docs.arduino.cc/arduino-cloud/api/arduino-iot-api/ and here Arduino IoT Cloud API :

• OAuth2 is used as an authentication method - Adalo alone can’t do that
  • creating auth token requires --header ‘content-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded’ \ content-type, I’m not sure it’s possible to do it via custom action in Adalo
  • and what is worse, access token expires after 300 seconds (see “Postman” section in the 1st link). This may mean that you’ll have regenerate token every 5 mins. It will be quite difficult to implement it on Adalo alone.

I’ve had an experience implementing OAuth2 in Make quite a while ago, but now I’d chose the path of writing this in a native code using cloud functions.

Best,
Victor.

Awesome, thanks for the response. I suspected this might be beyond what Adalo can do, but I’m still new-ish when it comes to APIs so I wasn’t sure. You saved me a lot of time trying to make this work.

I’m going to continue using a webhook integration via Zapier. I was trying to make the External Collections work so I didn’t have to pay $30/month for Zapier, but so be it.