How to make the timer continue when the app is closed

I am making an app in which a user uploads an image and as a result gets exactly one week to look at other peoples images, after which they have to upload another.

How would I go about this?

I’m not good enough to give you exact directions.

If I were to try to build it,
I would use a form to create the photo upload,
use a list to show the photo / others’ photos ,
and add the countdown component to delete it automatically after a week,
send a notification to remind the user to upload another photo.

Thanks, is there a way to stop the countdown from stopping when the app is closed?

Maybe maybe… haha (off the top of my head)

Perhaps you could use a True / False to act as an “off / on” switch - add a button so users can tap it upon entering and exiting.

Zooming-out here — I think a lot of coding / no-coding is about trying it out, failing, learning, rebuilding / retrying. i.e. Hacking :nerd_face:

I would give it a shot and if you get stuck, come back, share some screen shots; maybe someone will be able to help you figure it out.

Thanks

1 Like

What do you think of giving the user 5 hours or so of actual in app time until they have to upload another pic

Maybe the switch hides or completely gets rid of the timer component. That’s a tough call; without actually getting into it.

I’ll do some A/B testing

what do I think of the idea? or what do I think about actually building it?

If you could provide context as to what it is for, or the reasoning, it may influence what I think.

I don’t use snap chat… but , based on your description, that’s kinda what I have in my head as I am reading your description

A simple version: The image deletes after a week, regardless of if they are in the app or not, sounds cool… probably.

The idea that it is only “in app” time, sounds a bit over-engineered, and a bit complex to build with Adalo

It is an app in which users share homework in a BeReal like fashion.

Not familiar with BeReal…

From an engagement perspective… i.e. getting people to “check-in” and use your app. I think the simple version would be preferred because knowing that the timer is ticking, creates urgency.

without knowing the homework space / problem you are solving, that would be my guess.

Without A/B testing, sometimes just asking users the right questions will let you know how important that feature is.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.