How to send mails by using custom actions using Amazon SES?

I could try with sendgrid and it was successful. I find Amazon SES mail services to be very effective and economical. I tried looking at their API help docs, but am not able to get through the authorization values to be created with combinations of algorithm, AWS IAM security keys, date and signature.

So far,i could get this…

the endpoint for my account : https://email.us-west-2.amazonaws.com

They give this sample authorization request in their docs -
Authorization: AWS4-HMAC-SHA256 Credential=AKIAIOSFODNN7EXAMPLE,SignedHeaders=Date;x-amz-date,Signature=9d63c3b5b7623d1fa3dc7fd1547313b9546c6d0fbbb6773a420613b7EXAMPLE

They explain this
Requests that use the AWS Signature Version 4 include an Authorization header that contains the following information:

• The algorithm you used for signing ( AWS4-HMAC-SHA256 )
  • The credential scope (with your access key ID)
  • A list of signed headers
  • The calculated signature. The signature is based on your request information, and you use your AWS secret access key to produce the signature. The signature confirms your identity to AWS.

Has anyone done it successfully and would please guide me.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Kamal,

Last time I checked (about a month ago), I didn’t find the AWS SES REST API. As I understood, they provide a programming API for SES, but in order to work via REST API some 3rd party solutions were needed (googling it shows some references).

Did you find REST API for this service?

Best regards, Victor.

Hi @Victor,

Thanks for responding. Amazons SES API has all the REST API functions. Here is their documentaiton.

The main problem is getting the right code for their V4 signature for authentication. I tried to do it in POSTMAN but getting stuck with an error “Unable to determine service/operation name to be authorized”. I have been reading all forums and searching on Google but not able to get the right authentication code for headers.

Meanwhile, just tried Zapier integration and by just putting the simple credentials of region, Access key and Secret key, i could integrate with the app and trigger a email on submission of a new record in the collection.

It just shows that it works, that the credentials are right. Its just a matter of getting the right Authorisation code and V4 signature.

Anyone who has walked that path, can please guide us in the right direction.

1 Like

Amazon SES is a premium app in Zapier, so i guess it will work for 14 days in the free trial. Have ot find a solution by then.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.