Request Help with Sirv Image Hosting Service API

I am looking for a way to call optimized images into my app. I have seen solutions that will create an image with TinyPNG’s api but can’t figure out how to store the created file. The YouTube tutorial only shows how store the URL. TInyPNG must erase the files after a few hours.

I have seen solutions referencing where Adalo stores its images within the app.

I would like something that I create a control.

Sirv.com seems like it could be a good solution however I simply cannot figure out how to use the Sirv API.

Is there a way to create a custom action to pull an image?

Even better is there a way to create an external collection similar to what we can do with Airtable to pull the image via the URL field?

Thanks for any help or ideas. I have been beating my head all day trying different methods with no success.

To those way smarter than me a custom component would be great!

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris @CK-4XOA,

Not directly answering your question - just suggesting another path to explore: you may want to manipulate your images in ImgIX used by Adalo. I’m not sure whether it is supported, but it worked for me :).
See the sneak-peek unlisted video here: Adalo hints and tricks: Image manipulation with ImgIX - YouTube

Best,
Victor

@Victor your solution looks amazing and it will help a lot of people. I am going to finish watching the tutorial now. The only difference I can see is that the app owner still doesn’t have complete control of the images. Meaning if they were stored in an external database from the owners account the images could be used elsewhere.

Incredibly cool stuff though and I can see uses for download and some of the image manipulation.

Thanks again,
Chris

1 Like

@Victor I was looking at the code a bit. Some of my images are stored on an S3 server. Not sure how and why Adalo pics that, https://proton-uploads-production.s3.amazonaws.com/(image name.jpeg) is the URL.

I quickly was able to use a couple of your examples. I guess you would need to store the changes in the database in order for them to appear when an image was loaded via url.

If Adalo does use different storage methods it circles back to wanting to use my own.

Thanks,
Chris

1 Like

Hi @CK-4XOA,

Thanks for the feedback. I suspected something like this (different storage platforms), that’s why I can’t say this method is “supported” or “official”.
May be next week we could get more info on this.

As for Sirv API - this seems doable, however the authentication method they use with token expiration makes setup quite cumbersome.

I remember @karimoo used https://cloudinary.com/ for storing images and was quite happy with the functionality. You can do the search on the forum, there were couple of posts regarding it.

Best,
Victor.

@Victor I will take a look at that. I keep trying different image hosting services and running into the same problem, can’t connect. That ok I will keep trying and hopefully someone else can chime in with a solution. There’s a new beta Zap with Image4io that I tried but when uploading the URL the complete URL gets stripped and it won’t upload the image to Image4io. So much for being excited with that possible solution.

I was able insert the adalo URL into the image record via an update and then send that URL to an Airtable DB. That at least gives me an externally hosted DB with the Owner Name, Owner Email, Image Description, and Adalo URL for future reference. Your code helped with that effort.

Regards,
Chris

@Victor it looks like all of the images are eventually store on an S3 server but the URLs typically reference the link you have be manipulating. Some switch to the the S3 URL after loading.

I have created a page that loads the image in a web view so I could use some of the parameters you demoed in your YouTube video. However, I had to do an if statement because some of the images in my alpha app reference the S3 server. Those go to a different page so they render properly. For some reason webview does not work.

Do you know if in the iOS and Android apps when I get to that stage if Pinch and Zoom is supported? My app is pretty image heavy, meaning people will be uploading images, and pinch and zoom would be very helpful.

Thanks again…
Chris

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.