Apple to Stop Publishing No-Code Apps?

When’s the actual deadline that Apple will stop accepting no-code apps to be published on App Store? I know on their website starting in April 2021 App Store will only publish apps built with Redcode.

1 Like

@LaoEntrepreneur

That’s no good. Do you have any links to where it says this? I did a google search and it doesn’t come up with anything.

1 Like

I can’t find it. I recall reading about it when I signed up for Apple Developer Account. I thought I’d saved it but can’t seem to find it. I believe it’s something to do with UIWebView something or other.

Here’s what Isaac Feldman said in the Slack group: “It’s not nocode apps, just what’s called “hybrid apps” a native shell that contains a webapp, for example the Ionic framework. From what I understand, this shouldn’t impact nocode and also things like React Native, since the compiled code is native”

But, this still doesn’t address the fact that App Store says they will only accept and publish apps built with Redcode starting in April 2021.

1 Like

Yeah interesting.

Starting to think PWAs are the way of the future. The research on them is fascinating. There are so many hoops to jump through in publishing to the Apple store. If they decide to change something, it can bring a whole business down that uses no-code app development. Very challenging.

1 Like

What’s PWAs? Published Web Apps? Well, App Store is ideal because you can reach 1.5 billion devices globally.

1 Like

TLDR. Adalo apps will be able to be published to the Apple App Store next year. So no need to rush your app. Everything is fine.

Here’s the backstory with more information.

Every year Apple announces new guidelines to publishing to the App Store. Here’s their latest announcement in September. The line that you are referring to above is: “Starting April 2021, all iOS and iPadOS apps submitted to the App Store must be built with Xcode 12 and the iOS 14 SDK.”

(I believe the redcode you’re talking about is Xcode)

The good news is that Adalo does use Xcode (we use the CLI version). So you are building with Xcode when you’re building on Adalo. So every year we have to update the version of Xcode we use as well as updating your apps so that they use the latest iOS version. So no need to worry we’ll be upgrading all of those things in time for April.

By @ashley - Thanks for the clarification on this :+1:

13 Likes

@LaoEntrepreneur PWA is progressive web app, a type of application software delivered through the web, built using common web technologies including HTML, CSS and JavaScript. It is intended to work on any platform that uses a standards-compliant browser, including both desktop and mobile devices.

Essentially your PWAs are cross-platform for Android and iOS, without all the hoops to jump through for native apps on these platforms.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I also heard back from Apple. Here’s their email to me:

" Hello Sinakhone,

This is Alex with Apple Developer Program Support. I am reaching out in regards to your request for the deadline of updating your apps that use the outdated UIWebView API.

We have not announced a definite deadline yet. When that deadline has been determined, we will let all the developers know. You can view this link to the news article, https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=edwud51q , and can check that site for any upcoming changes or news that you might miss.

Here is your case number for reference: 101224107406. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Alex

Apple Inc."

BTW, @ashley is a Superwoman!

I agree! She’s awesome.

BTW, @ashley is a Superwoman!

I agree! She’s awesome.

We think so too!

2 Likes

PWAs are great - we just built one that gave ran nearly a million dollars in local business sales to support them during Covid-19. PWA has wallet and payments and location tracking and more - easier to deploy for both iPhone & Android. It was distributed via the local business councils website and QRcode links.
----- Its PWA first for us.

3 Likes

Welcome Kev,

Did you build in Adalo? How did you track location?

Good to hear we’ll still be able to publish to the iOS App Store… thanks!

We have stated the component but another job pulled resources off. Will get back to it late next week.

Regards

Kevin Baum

Your guide to essential change.

Finding The New Normal That Works For You!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.