When to publish to the app store(s)?... and other App Store questions

G’Day Adaloians,

I have built a few apps with Adalo over the past few weeks but have never published an app to either the Apple App Store or Google Play. I have created the developer accounts so they are ready to go but am unsure at what point in the development process I should export a build and submit it to the app store(s).

*10%

• 25%
  • 50%
  • 75%
  • 90%
  • 99% (They are never really done right?)

For instance, I am building out a calculator app that will calculate Margin, Markup, and Commission. I have completed the Margin portion of the build but haven’t had a chance to work up the other two sections. I would like to get the Margin Calculator uploaded since it might be a while before I can work on the other two features. I’m also not certain the current database structure wont change once I do start to implement the other sections. In this case (and perhaps the next) should I duplicate the project and start building the other sections then “replace” the published app with the “new” app or does the build need to come from the original app? I’m guessing it wouldn’t be possible to replace the app and keep all of the user’s data intact.

For another app, I plan to build out several “modules” to the app and would like to publish it when each stage has been complete. For instance, I have completed a company directory “module” and would like to get it online so my staff can start using it. I plan to build out a team chat “module”, an inventory control “module”, a knowledge base “module” and so on.

I thought about having my team use the PWA but since there currently isn’t a way to version the PWA, I feel it would be best to publish them to the App Stores and push out updates as each module is completed. They would also potentially have access to modules that are incomplete and not ready for prime time.

Once the app has been published, do you have to submit and wait for approval from Apple/Google for the new version to go live? I’m assuming you do but want’s sure.

Also, at what point would you put out minor changes as an update to the App Stores? Say I make a few minor design changes, update a feature, or fix a small bug. Is it appropriate to submit updates at that point or should I wait for a number of changes to happen before updating?

I would also like to test out sending notifications but it doesn’t seem like there is a way to do that without publishing the app to the Stores. This is something I would want to test and work out before making the app available to the masses. Is there a way to test notifications before publishing?

Thanks for helping this App Store Newb out!

Once the app has been published, do you have to submit and wait for approval from Apple/Google for the new version to go live?

Yes you do. It is much faster than the first time though!

Also, at what point would you put out minor changes as an update to the App Stores? Say I make a few minor design changes, update a feature, or fix a small bug. Is it appropriate to submit updates at that point or should I wait for a number of changes to happen before updating?

There are no hard rules for this. If the improvement you are doing is critical to the use of the app or it is security orientated then I would advise to push an update immediately. Otherwise I would try to minimise the amount of updates to just major changes.

I would also like to test out sending notifications but it doesn’t seem like there is a way to do that without publishing the app to the Stores. This is something I would want to test and work out before making the app available to the masses. Is there a way to test notifications before publishing?

You can publish an app in beta mode first that only provides access to the email addresses you have chosen to be part of the beta program for your app.

Colin, thank you for your responses. I appreciate the insight. Do you or anyone else have answers to my first few questions? I’m struggling with at what point do I submit my initial build and is it a problem to add major functionality as an update in the future.

Future builds/updates should come from the original app. That being said, once you feel like your app would have value to users, there’s no reason not to submit it.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.