Custom Action - Intermittently working (text input issue)

Hi

Ref previous query: Truncate text on card list item

As a workaround/solution to the above, I’ve created a Custom Action to pass the story/blog Text to a webhook which truncates thee text string and returns a Summary object which I then save into the Collection along with the whole story/blog text.

Action flow as follows…
User enters text into form and hits the save button
Step1 - Custom Action triggered > sends text to webhook which returns json
Step2 - Normal Save to collection action saves record with form text and webook response text.
Step3 - screen closed and list refresh etc

This has been tested and working fine however, it only works with small amounts of text. If a large string (3 paragraph example below) the Step1 action above does NOT run and I’ve verified the webhook doesn’t receive a request.

So question is, for the Custom Action is there a character limit on a Text Input parameter? this is the only reason why I can thin this fails to run?

Thanks in advance

Example story/blog string:
"Jolly boat salmagundi aye gunwalls port coxswain to go on account snow jack brig. Privateer black jack crack Jennys tea cup fathom lugsail hardtack yard Buccaneer Cat o’nine tails swab. Nipper tack log mutiny jack driver Shiver me timbers grapple skysail lee.

Driver grog gabion rum pinnace Brethren of the Coast Corsair mizzen take a caulk Sea Legs. Jack bowsprit hardtack Spanish Main spike bilge water furl hornswaggle pressgang man-of-war. Clipper Sail ho Arr bilge bilge rat brig weigh anchor fore gunwalls me.

Rum stern interloper grog bowsprit mizzenmast lookout poop deck pillage run a shot across the bow. Mizzen fore marooned chandler parley interloper league ahoy shrouds pillage. Splice the main brace loaded to the gunwalls crack Jennys tea cup bring a spring upon her cable lee squiffy nipper belay tender booty."

Quick update… same text but without lines spaces so may be format related?!..

this works…
“Jolly boat salmagundi aye gunwalls port coxswain to go on account snow jack brig. Privateer black jack crack Jennys tea cup fathom lugsail hardtack yard Buccaneer Cat o’nine tails swab. Nipper tack log mutiny jack driver Shiver me timbers grapple skysail lee. Driver grog gabion rum pinnace Brethren of the Coast Corsair mizzen take a caulk Sea Legs. Jack bowsprit hardtack Spanish Main spike bilge water furl hornswaggle pressgang man-of-war. Clipper Sail ho Arr bilge bilge rat brig weigh anchor fore gunwalls me. Rum stern interloper grog bowsprit mizzenmast lookout poop deck pillage run a shot across the bow. Mizzen fore marooned chandler parley interloper league ahoy shrouds pillage. Splice the main brace loaded to the gunwalls crack Jennys tea cup bring a spring upon her cable lee squiffy nipper belay tender booty.”

This doesn’t…
"Jolly boat salmagundi aye gunwalls port coxswain to go on account snow jack brig. Privateer black jack crack Jennys tea cup fathom lugsail hardtack yard Buccaneer Cat o’nine tails swab. Nipper tack log mutiny jack driver Shiver me timbers grapple skysail lee.

Driver grog gabion rum pinnace Brethren of the Coast Corsair mizzen take a caulk Sea Legs. Jack bowsprit hardtack Spanish Main spike bilge water furl hornswaggle pressgang man-of-war. Clipper Sail ho Arr bilge bilge rat brig weigh anchor fore gunwalls me.

Rum stern interloper grog bowsprit mizzenmast lookout poop deck pillage run a shot across the bow. Mizzen fore marooned chandler parley interloper league ahoy shrouds pillage. Splice the main brace loaded to the gunwalls crack Jennys tea cup bring a spring upon her cable lee squiffy nipper belay tender booty."

Had another look at this and definitely not working when a carriage return is within the text input… simple test below doesn’t work. Please advise?..

"TEST PARA1

TEST PARA2"

“Line1
Line”

Yeah I’ve noticed this as well. For some reason, JSON packets within Adalo don’t like any sort of line breaks or returns. Not quite sure why, but I’ll ask and see what the deal is. Seems like this is an issue with others trying to use Sendgrid to send multi-lined emails as well.

@Experts any update on this please? Thanks

Hi @vikingrs6, we are looking in to this issue further.

Please don’t @ tag groups. It won’t help get an answer faster :slight_smile:

Hi @anon78309838, noted and my apologies…

I noticed multi-line doesn’t work, because I guess Adalo doesn’t make the multi-line text JSON-friendly (we would need to use \n in place of linebreaks).

Although I was thinking what if we use the URLencode component to encode user inputted text and then feed it through the JSON and then decode it the other side (Integromat?).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.