Do I need "Device Detector?

I´m creating an app that should work on web, iPad/tablet and mobile. All of the different devices have different purposes. So, when a user logs in on a computer, they should only see the pwa part, and if they log in on a mobile device, they should only see the mobile part of the app.
Do I need a Device Detector to accomplish this? Or is there another solution?

P.S. The mobile part of the app should be published on the App Store and Google Play. If that matters.

Hello, in this case, you don’t need a device detector. You can create a (Responsive Web App) where it’ll acheive the purpose that you’ve mentioned and it’ll work on all types of devices (Desktop, Tablet and mobile).

Thank you!

Does this still aply if the mobile app is native?

I was not able to write a new answer, so I’ll edit this one…

@Ali-Bazzi As the different devices has different screens I dont see how your solution will work? For example. I have some screens for the administrators that should only be available on desktop screens. So when a admin user logs in, they should have different experiences based on their screens. Likewise as a normal user logs in, they should never see anything other than the mobile part of the app.

@Rozza I agree with you. The device detector is needed. I was hoping that there was a smart way to manage this, but I guess there is´nt

In the Native app, you’ll only need the mobile mode because it’s a mobile app.

Thank you!

I disagree. The responsiveness of Adalo apps is purely based on screen width. So a desktop user with a window 375 wide will be served your mobile experience.

If you have different screens in your app for different devices, then yes, you need device detector to determine the device they are using.

Why lock the thread? @Ali-Bazzi @Victor @theadaloguy @dilon_perera is this a new era of censorship?

For the OP @Eccles - try using a native adalo mobile app, rotate your device and you are in tablet mode. Hence my original response… You need to know the device, you cannot rely on the screen width.

Hello @Eccles,

Using Adalo2.0, you can build a mobile app that is for native as well as used in PWA.

The app will automatically be responsive based on the user’s screen dimession.

Now let’s say you have admin that have desktop, and the normal users on the app;

Firstly this access management is purely database related and conditions in-app regardless of the platform used (web, native) or device (laptop, tablet or mobile).

I could suggest you have your admin side built on a different Adalo editor that only handles Admin related work and doesn’t have a native build, and your user interface to be separate that has a native build, but also at the same time based on your audience to be either native only or native + responsive if accessed from a tablet or laptop.

Device detector is a component that let you know what platform the app is accessed from as well as the device screen’s size. Personally, I don’t see any usage for it in your case and let me explain why:

1. If you were to know the platform (web, ios, android), that doesn’t make any difference in your responsiveness, because an iPhone user can access the app from the web (safari) the platform will then be web.
  2. If you were to know the screen size, well this is very good approach, but useless, Adalo already does that for you in the editor, why would you manage conditions and extra work if it’s already built responsive?

This is correct, but don’t need a component, you can already manage visibility rules in Adalo2.0 based on platform.

Correct, the screen will be considered a tablet because it in landscape mode, based on what’s been built in the editor for Tablet mode, the app will react.

That’s as far as I know about responsiveness, if there is something missing that I don’t know about, that’s different, then

Good points by @njimmy10

If a maker wants to have one app that serves a different experience to multiple devices, outside of Adalo’s responsiveness, then it is possible… but complicated.

The two screenshots here are of the info that the Device Detector by Simon Siegert makes available.

1. is a native build on iphone
  2. is a web app on iphone

So you can determine the device and if it is a native build or browser view. You could in theory have another route through your app depending on device detected. Thereby restricting the experience of desktop users to the desktop version and mobile users to mobile version.

(1)
(2)