Ensure username entry starts with "@"

My signup includes a username field and I’d like to ensure that usernames are entered with an @ at the beginning (for example @james). I want to display an error text if the user enters a username with no @. Obviously I should create a text with the error message and apply conditional visibility so that it appears when there’s no @ in username field. But there’s no option for “does not contain”. So how do I do this? Am I missing something?

Thank you!

What I would do is that once the user signs up, for the sign up button update the logged-in user then include the @FullName.

Hey @James_App_Maker,

I appreciate the tip, but it’s not the solution I’m looking for. I’d like users to be able to set their own username.

Thanks!

Hi Mikaeel,

You can do the same thing for the username. Update the logged in user’s username by appending ‘@’ before it.

Hi @Erik,

Thanks for your suggestion. The problem that I have is that some users will include the ‘@’ when entering their username and others won’t. So your solution will sometimes lead to a double ‘@’ at the beginning of some usernames.

Take care!

Give the user UX prompts to promote the action you’re trying to achieve. Like below. When the user enters their username, the field underneath it will display how the field will show when completed (with the @ in front)

2 Likes

I like that idea. I think I’m going to do that. Much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.