From a Custon List.. Get back to the form that made it

Hello Everyone…

Here I am again…

I just cant work out how … From a Custom List… (which is showing 15 of all the most relevant fields filled in the 20 field form that created it)… How to get back to the form that made the custom list… and edit/update fields input so the updated input details will re-appear back into the custom list… for the user to keep as a visual whenever needed to do so…

To Summarise…

What “Button… Link… system… Relationship”… whatever does this… that I need to do to get this Simple deed done…

Thanks’

Lyn Poddley

I’m afraid I do not really understand the question Lyn.

Could you perhaps try and rephrase it and show some screenshots to demonstrate what you are trying to achieve?

Hello Colin…

I can’t believe how hard this is to do… I just want to go back to the form that was filled in by the user…
I am beyond caring which way to do it…

Ideally from my Custom list below “B”…
All I get is a blank form…“C” below…
I expected it to be the form with the correct data in it that is in “A” below…

Hope you can sort this…

Regards

Lyn…

I am fairly new to this but from what I can see.

In “B” you have an action on an element in your Custom List that does a Link…

In that Link you have an action to go to a new screen.

If you place a Form on that screen it gives you the option to either have a) a new form b) edit an existing “current” data item.

Hello Nigel…

Basically all I want to do no matter how… is either…
Edit the list which is made up of all the data in the user form … or go back to the form data user put in that made the list…
The latter I find is not possible… it seems that once you have entered any data in a form… and click “Create” it is gone forever… as far as recovering it back in the form…
So it goes into a List… be-it a Custom List like mine…I am using a list such as this because the list is filled with all the form fields… (25 fields and 7 pictures)…

If a simple button that can be placed on the list the when clicked will allow user to edit and “Update” the that field in the list … then… that will do fine…

I have used the “Update” links but still doesn’t seem to do anything… (fields are ticked)…

Regards

Lyn…

Is it in the database? Or can’t you get it back from there?

Hi Lyn :wave:,

As @NigelG suggested this is the correct way to update a collection’s record from a list.

1 Like

Nigel…

No… The database still has all the records… it’s the form that doesn’t re-show the record that was made…

But!.. I am now not bothered with that… I would like to know… how do you let the user update a list made from the form data… preferably a “Button… Picture… Anything” … that is somewhere on the list…

I don’t want to if poss add anymore pages just to edit this one…

Thank’s

Lyn…

Hello Dev…

Be better if you could show me an example…

I would definitely Appreciate it…

Lyn…

Sure @LynPod,

1. A logged-in user submits your form and this creates a collection record.
  2. On the next screen, you have a list with all your records from that collection.
  3. When the logged-in user clicks on that list item this will take the user to that item’s page.
  4. On the items page, you can place an Edit Button (This will only appear if the current items “created by” is the current logged-in user). This button will direct the user to another screen called “Edit Item”.
  5. On the Edit Item screen, you can place a form and link it to your collection, bellow you will choose to Update the current “item”.

Hope that helps :blush:

Hello Devops…

Thank you for your explanation…

However… I am already at my “Witt’s End” with this… and now I think I will just go and lie down and pretend I never saw “Adalo”…

All my other Delphi rad 150 apps don’t have this problem… So I will leave this feature out…
and get a life back again…

Regards.

Lyn…

Small steps @LynPod :hugs:,

When I feel stuck on a major problem I always take a step back rather than work in frustration.

I’m sure you will get through this :muscle:

2 Likes

Hello Devops…

Normally I do just that…

But thinking about it… it isn’t that important in this style of app… the user can quickly make another record instead of messing around to change the existing one…

Thanks’ for your replies… and any other’s that did so…

Lyn…

Hey @LynPod,

I believe I understand what you are trying to do. You want a user to be able to use this form to create a new item, that item is then listed in your custom list, and then theuser should be able to select the “item” in the list that takes them to a prefilled form with all of that items info in the form. I assume the use case here is for creating a new item from an exisiting item, to reduce the info they have to entre for adding another similar item. Am I close with that understanding?

If yes. I absolutely have a solution for you to be able to do this.

Oh well I’m confused :roll_eyes:, I thought that this was your original query :point_down:

Sorry that my input didn’t help you.

Devops…

Your answer is correct… But… the customers /users who have any of my apps and this one included… don’t have the facilities on hand to fiddle about updating records in that way you said…

They are in Fields… Riverbeds… Side of Mountains… in Jungles… Caves… Deserts… and Pot Holes etc… hands not clean and to cold to enter or start clicking buttons… they would simply fill out a new form instead…
P.S. All my apps are virtually Type Free!.. I have all dropdowns with everything needed in the dropdown to go with the chosen app… so 9-10 the user justs drops the field box and selects the answer… the dropdowns can have as many as 100 items in the dropdown list… if the item is not there… they can add it…

Ideally I would like my test app here on Adalo. to be all dropdowns filled with relative info relating to the app chosen… but I cant see that happening…

Lyn…

Hello Ben…

Thats what I want the user to be able to do… From the item selected in the list… back to the prefilled form that made the list… at that point… the user can just change whatever and re-submit the form with the changes that will show up in the list…

Lyn…

So the solution here is a custom form using Form input components rather than the out of the box “Form” component.

You will want to copy the current form screen and then recreate the form with form fields and a button. Then make a button or icon or text in your custom list with action to link to this new “Form” screen. In the fields on this screen, you can use Magic Text to bring the info for each field from the “Current Item” information that is linked to the screen. Then make an action on the button to “Create New Item” mapping all of the form fields to the correct fields in your Collection for that record.

The only downside to this method is that you can’t have required fields. However, you can use visibility rules on the submit button to only show if all fields are not equal to empty.

That is my suggestion for making this work.

1 Like

Ben…

I must have been at the “Back of the Class” when this lot was designed… I can’t get it to work…
I can see with your explanation… that it could… I have uploaded a couple of screenshots to see where I am going wrong…

And a close view of the Origional Form (“NewFinds”)… and The Copied Form (re-named to “findsEditor” and The Custom List (FindsViewer)…

This would be good if it worked… But. all my form field have to be Entered (filled in) and None left out…

Lyn…

Hello Colin…

Just to let you know I have found fault with the fact I could not get app to login on phone…

“Sorry” my fault… somehow the link to wi-fi had been lost … even showing it was working… but not enough to connect to your system…

All sorted now…

Regards

Linda…

1 Like