List problem with Many-to-Many relationships

Hi everyone, I’m a total newbie in Adalo - and I must say I’m loving it. Here’s my question:

I have 3 tables:

Restaurants
Evaluators - people who evaluate restaurants
Evaluations - evaluations of restaurants by evaluators

Different evaluators can evaluate different restaurants. So my evaluations table has a many-to-many relationship with evaluators and a many-to-many relationship with Restaurants.

What I’m trying to do is to create a list of recent evaluations that shows the name of the evaluator, the name of the restaurant and the evaluation date. Clicking on it will take the user to the EvaluationDetail page.

I made the list a list of “recommendations” . However in magic text all I see is the fields of recommendations.

I started the project with an airtable base with the same relationships and I could see the related variables. However when I carried the database to Adalo, I can not see related variables.

Your guidance is much appreciated.

Hi @dcilingir,

Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest a bit different structure for your database. You need 3 tables:

• Users (built-in)
  • Restaurants
  • Evaluations

For Users table:

• usual fields
  • relationship to Evaluations table: Many-to-one (i.e. User can have many Evaluations, but each Evaluation belongs only to one User)

For Restaurants table:

• usual info fields
  • relationship to Evaluations table: Many-to-one (i.e. Restaurant can have many Evaluations, but each Evaluation belongs only to one Restaurant)

For Evaluations table:

• you will have automatically-created reciprocal relationship to Users
  • you will have automatically-created reciprocal relationship to Restaurants
  • “payload” field for an evaluation (rating, date, comment, etc.).

With this, each record in Evaluation table will uniquely belong to User and a Restaurant. And you can display this table in a list, filtering by parameters you want.

Best regards, Victor.

Hi Victor,

Many thanks for the answer. It worked like a charm.

A quick & similar question:

I have a cuisine table that has all the relevant cuisines (japanese, chinese, sea food etc).

And each restaurant can belong to more than one cuisines. Like it can be a Japanese & Chinese food restaurant. Therefore I need a many-to-many relationship. Is there a way to activate magic text for many-to-many relationships?

Hi @dcilingir,

I’m not sure what you mean by “activate magic text for many-to-many relationships”, as magic text doesn’t require any activation :slight_smile:

It would be helpful if you can tell what are you trying to do and what is the exact problem, with the screenshots or video.

Best regards, Victor.