Months in Numerical Order

Hello,

I have users input a date (date of birth). I save the date as the month number (1,2,3…). I then created a list based on those month numbers using the sorting option. But the problem is that Adalo puts October, November, and December before January. I think the reason is that Adalo is reading 10, 11, and 12 as lower than 2, 3, 4… because of the first value. Is there a way I can get all the months in the correct order?

Hey, sorry if I am missing something here. But why not just have the user put in the full DOB in Date Format ? And then filter the user by DOB Oldest to Newest?

Again sorry if this is out of scope in terms of what you are looking. But typically that’s how I manage dates. You then could filter that dates into groups of Months and possibly a sub list then etc?

Hello, you can create a number property in the “Events collection” and call it “Month of birth” and then filter it as a number from the lower to the higher in the list.

I’m running into something similar and maybe missing something in this suggested solution. If I use the a related collection in a form, I can’t sort by any value in that field if I create a list.
So, although it solved the renumbering problem it doesn’t solve the end use case- ordering a list by the date.

Hi,

I have the user enter the DOB through a Form component (in Date Picker format). I do this because I have them enter other information as well and the form makes it clear and easy.

The end goal for this was to create a birthday reminder section. I was trying to first sort by month and then was going to figure out how to only display birthdays in the current month. So filtering by DOB older to newest wouldn’t work for the end goal.

I like your second suggestion and that’s what I ended up doing. I created 12 lists and filtered them by “month name” instead of number. It’s not exactly what I want but it will do for now.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Hi,

Yes, I tried that but when I used a number property, Adalo set the month number to “18393” or something like that. I found another discussion and they talked about why that is. You can read it below if you like.

I did not want to create further complicated maths so I decided not to go this route.

But actually, this suggestion had the same outcome/problem that I started with. For example, November was set to 18,393 and January was set to 19,303 - so again, November would show up before January.

I figured out a different way to portray what I want but thank you for the suggestion!

Hello,

I’m not sure I understand the “related collection in a form”. I tried a lot of different things and yeah there was nothing that worked to get the correct list in order of date. I think iAppsNi suggestion might work but my end result is also different from just DOB oldest to newest, so I did not try it. Maybe it might work for you.

I’m not sure this will help, since I’m not sure I completely understand the issue, but here’s how I solve the issue with time.
I wonder if you could do the months, Jan-Dec with ID’s 1-12 and solve it?
I wanted to take a minute and share how I solved this problem since the community has been so helpful. I’ve spent probably 250 hours on my app, many of those on this problem So, although I’m not an expert, I have read an intense amount of stuff about it

First, my use case.
I have a schedule that is the same every Monday through Friday. In other words, every Monday is the same every Tuesday is the same Etc. My users will create the core schedule once, but update different activities on those days with different details. Because they need to update, but a static list ordered by item ID was an unusable solution.
Many of the other hindrances to a use case calling for a time picker with no date have been listed and discussed here in many threads.

Now, how I solved it.
I created a collection called “times” and included every time that a user might need. I recorded that time in this format “1:00 pm” in the name column of the collection.
I entered the times in sequential order so that the unique ID numbers would correlate with the times from low to high. In other words 6 a.m. would have the lowest ID number end 5 p.m. would have the highest ID number.

I then created another collection for each day of the week. These collection are called “Monday activities”, “Tuesday activities”, “Wednesday activities”, Etc.

Within each daily activity collection I created a relationship to the “Time” collection.
I’ve seen it suggested that this is enough to solve the problem, but it did not solve the problem for me since I could not sort in a list by a related collection. I needed my list to order from earliest to latest and if I simply use the time list 5 p.m. would come before 10 a.m.
I also created a text field “time ID”.

I created a form “Monday Activity” to collect the data from the user, and included “Time” in the visible Fields. This is where my user chooses the time from the collection.

Then, in submit I had one action to create a new Monday activity.
A second action updates the new Monday activity.
Using magic text, I required it to update “Time ID” field with “Time ID”

Now, in the app, I created a list of Monday activities. I show the “Time Field, but sort A to Z on ”time ID”.

Not exactly elegant, but it does get the job done. I hope it helps someone!

Hi,

Wow, that’s amazing that you were able to do that. I might have to try something like this. The solution I had come up with did not work. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.