Scaling Up: Prioritizing Performance on Adalo

@anon78309838 Adalo’s radio silence is concerning me as a new pro user (not even a month in yet). I truly love this software as I’m practically ready to launch my app within a month of developing my 1st ever app, that’s a testament at the ease of use of this amazing software, but I won’t lie when I say I’m feeling more and more concerned each passing day over the lack of communication. I really don’t want to look elsewhere as I said I LOVE this workflow, but issues like the empty space at the bottom of native mobile builds for well over a year is troubling White bar at the bottom on the screen - #51 by swg

I even sent you guys a very high praising email touting my success as a new user and heard nothing back. That’s not good, Adalo staff, you have to do much better than this.

All that said tho, I have faith that the team are working hard on the future. All we can do is wait.

8 Likes

Hi Colin. It’s been a week since your last update. When can we expect the most recent update to drop?

3 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m Josh, the brand new Director of Product here at Adalo. I apologize for the delay in communication here and appreciate your patience as I get my bearings around what’s in-flight and how we’re progressing on these important stability and performance related projects.

At the moment, we’ve been working almost exclusively on big infrastructure and architectural changes, along with working to clean up our codebase of bugs, both of which will really help Adalo scale for the future and help the product feel more stable and predictable. These changes have included the work that is noted on our performance update page, which we just updated, in addition to a lot of other behind-the-scenes improvements.

It’s important to be honest and note here that these changes have been taking us longer than we expected. These are large-scale changes that affect the platform in deep ways and require us to be diligent in preventing any unintended regressions — so we’ve been a little more cautious about rolling them out. For example, the changes that we spoke about in our last post did go out, but as we monitored the performance of the rollout, we weren’t satisfied with the results, so we’re working on further refinements before we make any announcements. I’m working hard to get you some firmer dates but I unfortunately don’t have those today.

That being said, I agree we should have communicated this with you all sooner. We hear you all when you say you’d love us to be more communicative with what’s happening on the product side of things and I’m hoping I can help with that in my new role! One of our goals for this quarter is to make some changes to how we’re communicating about our roadmap so that it’s more up-to-date and also has the ability for you all to continue providing us feedback.

We can’t thank you all enough for your continued support for Adalo and for your investments into this community. We know we wouldn’t be here without you and we’re working day and night to make sure we deliver the best product for you all!

17 Likes

Glad to meet you Josh, and thanks for the update! This part below seems very exciting and we hope to see the results roll out soon with the expanded team. It also reaffirms our faith in continuing to use Adalo to scale our apps beyond MVPs.

Also appreciate the update on the performance page too. Is there any timeline you can share on when some of the remaining performance updates could go live, particularly the speed of external collections? It would be extremely appreciated if you could share a rough timeline at least. The reason is because we need to relay some rough timelines to our users as well, and knowing this would help us plan our app launch better, especially considering that we’ve delayed launching our app by 11+ months just to make sure it performs well for all customers in Singapore, India, Bangladesh and UAE.

PS: I check the performance update several times a day, almost daily, just in hopes of seeing some updates on that will allow us to launch our app without hitches. I’ve subscribed by mail as well, but I still can’t help but check manually.

2 Likes

I’ll work with our engineering team this week to see if I can nail down any rough timelines. These types of projects are super difficult to estimate because it’s a lot of back and forth on solutions to make sure they had the desired impact on performance.

8 Likes

Thanks for the update Josh and good to hear things are heading in the right direction :slightly_smiling_face:

I know you’ve said that you are hoping to help on the communication side and that Adalo has the goal to make changes about how you communicate which is great. A piece of advice for your new role though - please be the person to take charge of keeping the forum posts updated, especially ones that have as much traction as this one.

When I was researching Adalo I spent a lot of time looking at reviews, weighing up the pros and cons and reading the forum threads. If I came across posts that seemed to be ignored by the staff after setting their own deadlines I’m not sure it would exactly inspire confidence in me… and this is likely the case for potential new users reading this now.

3 Likes

thats true, i was on stage to launch the app and given app for test cases. but due to speed it got failed…

1 Like

@adalojosh

Is providing support for local database with Mobile apps part of the plan for performance improvement?

Right now, the mobile apps built with Adalo seem like website as they pull data from live DB for each and every action. That’s very bad user experience and offers slow performance. Infact a bit of trouble with internet renders the app useless.

Who would like to continue using apps with such user experience? It’s important to have local database support for native apps.

Your thoughts on this?

4 Likes

it is slow for me too, and after days of search, I did not find any single one app actually succeed on Adalo , that is really frustrating

2 Likes

Yes. I just launched my app to my school today. 200 users logged on and all lists on any screen froze. Dead app. I was embarrassed. It works fine if no one is using it.
I’ve committed so much time to making this app; I’m very worried it won’t work. The plan was for 1K+ students using it. If it can’t handle 200, I don’t know what to do.

3 Likes

Horrified today. Discovered my app is dead when users are actually trying to use it.

Serious question.
Are the performance upgrades that Adalo is working on going to fix this?
Are the improvements going to be significant for serving lists?

1 Like

What type of app? Curious on how users would use it, because I’m about to soft launch my own where users can chat and such, but not post images or any files with exception to their profile pics. There’s potential where dozens of users will stream plyr videos for exercises and courses.

Tito - It’s school app - task management stuff. Very similar to what you’re planning, it seems.
Actions work. It’s list loading that failed. For example, the user’s list of tasks wouldn’t load, nor their conversations list, or events list, etc, etc

Hmm interesting, and this is a PWA or Native?

So far Adalo is only being used to create some sample and tutorial videos and nothing else :slight_smile: I don’t think anything serious can be built for mobile devices until we have local database and performance improvement.

1 Like

@adalojosh

This is relevant Offline Support | Voters | Adalo

I don’t know how you guys prioritize things. 1. This is the most relevant thing for performance improvement of mobile apps. 2. This has more votes, almost twice, than Color picker. However, color picker feature is planned but this one is not!! Do you think that feature is more important or urgent?!

Well I don’t have label of leader or expert that should contribute a voice here.

But I think we need to let the Adalo team to do their job according to their standard, as we have heard from them many times and certainly those concerns are being handled as fast as and as hard as they can.

All of us that are still in this forum despite these limitations is the proof that we are eagerly waiting and hoping for the best possible way to support us.

2 Likes

I agree with @Yongki Not making excuses but they’re a young company with what I can only imagine alot of moving parts that have to sync with each other, which unfortunately takes time, case in point, I’m honestly happy I can build TestFlight builds in 15mins, can you imagine how many people are doing this at the same time?

@scientist What do you mean? There’s actually an entire page listed with published apps Adalo App Showcase

@Yongki

Well, I think every tool has a learning curve. It took me a couple of months to get used to it and then become a paid customer to just use advanced features etc. and start building just to figure out such basic problems.

So it’s this investment of time and money that wants you to stick to something. Yes they have their own standards, but the way I see it, the prioritization is wrong. How come a native app can’t support offline database and you focus on “Color Picker”!?

1 Like

@tbel

I think those apps are not used by many users. Or maybe used by the users who have internet 100% of the time, so they don’t need a local database for offline app usage support. By the way, did you try these apps with ‘low speed internet’ or ‘no internet’?

You’re right, it takes time for the things to get in place and probably I should pause my subscription and keep my fingers crossed till these basic things get in place.

2 Likes