Sending Notifications Using NocoderHQ Countdown Component

Hi, I’m making a check-in/out feature sending notifications using NocoderHQ Countdown.
In my Admin Panel, I have a custom list which in it have 4 NocoderHQ Countdown. (One of them sends notifications 24 hours before the job starts, the other one sends 1 hour before etc.) By the way, I get these times (before 24 hours, before 1 hour, before 10 minutes using the Arbitrary JS component).

The Problem: 1) It doesn’t work as I expected. It sends a large amount of notifications to users in the list WHEN I OPEN the check-in/out screen in my Admin Panel. (But I wanted to send a notification after Countdown ends)
2) When I restricted this component (When this action happens → Sometimes → Countdown time is between 1 minute before and 1 minute after from current time) it sent notification exact time but TWICE :frowning:

@anar please keep in mind that the countdown works only when your app is opened and running on the desktop/mobile.
If you close your browser tab → the app is closed and therefore no countdowns exist anymore.

If you’d like to send scheduled notifications properly, I’d recommend using something like Make or Zapier.

As for your setup, it seems that the time isn’t set correctly in these countdowns.

And a final note - mind the actions counter when you’re using countdowns in a list, you can spend a lot of actions using such setup.

Best,
Victor.

1 Like

Thanks, Viktor for you really.
I actually tried to do it using Make, but couldn’t achieve it (couldn’t schedule it, just found the DELAY function which is not what I needed). Can you guide me on how to achieve scheduling notifications using Make or have screenshots of Make about which components you used to schedule?

@Victor or do you know anybody who achieved it?

There’s a few ways to go about this. At the heart of it is a table storing the scheduled notifications, then a server (make, xano or other) going through the table and sending the notification if the ‘scheduled_time’ has been reached.

There are also some APIs that essentially do this for you.

Here is one. I have not used it, I do it via Xano.

Essentially you are storing the scheduled notifications then hitting the Adalo Notifications API to send them.

For prototype or low level MVP you can also use a countdown timer running in a list of your ‘scheduled_notifications’

Hi @anar,

In Make you can set up the scenario to be run based on some schedule (https://www.make.com/en/help/scenarios/scheduling-a-scenario). Then the scenario is executed every X minutes / hours / days.

You can send reminder days / hours in advance of some datetime using this feature. However please keep in mind that scheduled scenario execution in Make is not super-precise so I won’t advice using it for 10-minutes reminders.

Best,
Victor.

@Rozza unfortunately if the app is closed → countdown timer do not exist anymore → no notifications sent.

1 Like

Hi Victor, yes I’m aware, I don’t mean for a production level app, but for prototype, you have a machine with a web app running, the web app custom list countdown timer becomes the server process.
Of course if you close the window or a problem occurs, then your ‘server process’ doesn’t work anymore.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know that you know :slight_smile:
What I meant is that some makers think that after using countdown in the raw MVP they can continue using this approach afterwards. As you can imagine the results are disappointing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Rozza I haven’t used Xano before, If I create a ‘scheduled_notifications’ list in Xano, can I send scheduled notifications to specific users at a specific time? do I need to be in an Apprentice or Master Wizard plan in Adalo for that?

I saw in Abracadalo that, I need to be in an Apprentice or Master Wizard plan in Adalo and unfortunately I can’t afford that

The reason you need team or business plan in Adalo is for access to the Notifications API

This is true Xano, Make and Zapier (I think) too.

Thanks, @Rozza, Does that mean I have only the Countdown component for sending scheduled notifications?

Indeed. But keep in mind what Victor and I have discussed. If you close that browser window then your list / countdown timer will not run.

1 Like