[VERY EASY] Quick trick: how to display content to users, independently from app version

Hey!

I’m sharing this trick that I use in most of my apps, to allow the app owner to communicate with the users, independently from the app version they have

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Hey, nice content! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is an excellent tip, @montetennis, thanks! If I understand it correctly, the best way to ensure current content for users of native mobile apps is to make the source of most/all content the Adalo database.

As long as we make changes to our content via the database, and that same content is being displayed as a list/custom list (maybe max one item visible), the changes will populate across our app.

Whereas if we insert simple text fields (no magic text) into our native iOS/Android apps, any changes to those text fields will not be visible to our users if they do not update the app.

1 Like

That is right.

My suggestion is not to abuse with collections for “communications”, but use them where needed!
(As example, in the home screen or communications page)

1 Like

Thanks, @montetennis ! Can you detail how you may set up the database to relate to your Users Collection? I’m thinking about how to design optimize the design of the front-end and database so to best utilize visibility rules. For example, maybe we show a Communication to Users whose last login was before the ‘Start Date’ of specific communication. Or, show a Communication based on a T/F property such as User’s Click Count, Current App Version, Number of Paid Orders, etc. Thanks again for this trick!

1 Like

Sure! Will try to do a short video tomorrow that explains that

1 Like

I readed again the question, and believe there is no need for a video for explaining that.

The most straight forward way (not very clean, but surely it works, and it’s easy) is:

• Create a collection for each group of users
  • Create a list for each collection (there will be just one element per list)
  • Set a visibility rule on the list, based on the logged-in user properties

Otherwise, we should link users to communication, but I’ve never implemented it in this way.

I’ll definitely give your way a shot. I’ve also been playing around with using a relationship between Users and Communications, but cannot get it to work just right :man_facepalming: