Visibility problem with 2 forms on the same screen

I have 2 different ‘edit profile’ forms on the same screen: One with just email and password for basic users, and one with much more detail for subscribed users. I want the correct form to be visible, depending on whether or not the UserID field is filled or empty. Subscribed users have an ID number. Basic users have nothing in that field.

I have both forms on the same ‘edit profile’ screen. One form is stacked directly below the other, in accordance with standard visibility rules.

The basic form is on top. I set it to be sometimes visible, when the UserID field is equal to empty.

The longer form is below, set to be visible when the UserID field is not empty.

But only the top (basic) form shows, regardless of whether my test user has an ID or not. Even if I move the longer form to the top, still only the basic form shows.

I can set both forms to be always visible, and they both show.

The UserID field is a simple text field containing a single digit. The first is 0 and the second is 1. All other users have no ID.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Without seeing this firsthand, one of my go-to tricks is a true/false. So if the user is a subscriber the user field has a “subscribed?” = true. And until they are a subscriber, it’s false. Then you can base your invisibility rules on this simple true/false dichotomy. Again, kind of hard to navigate if I’m not seeing the way you set everything up, but I have a few apps in the app store and most of them use true/false to navigate situations like this.

Well, that did solve the problem. Thank you for that trick. I’ll keep it in my toolbox for future situations.

I really don’t understand why this worked but my original visibility rule didn’t. The original rule was whether the ID field was empty or not. The ID field has only a single numeric digit in it, but that should definitely qualify as “not equal to empty”.

But, for whatever reason, your technique did work and mine didn’t. I do appreciate your quick response.

Just thinking out loud… If you set it invisible / visible due to the USER ID field… Did you use the magic text to fill in the field for users who have that? This could be a point of contention… Another, more involved, but additional way you can do this… Sometimes the forms don’t format like I want them to, so I use grouped inputs instead. You could always make all the inputs invisible based on the properties of the user. It sounds like the way you’re setting it up is based on the field itself, not the user? But without seeing it, I can’t be sure.

Yea, I used Magic Text to add a user ID to the field.

Basic users can create an account and use the app, but don’t get a user ID number. Subscribed users are those who join the club and have access to additional services. When they join, I use a formula in Magic Text to assign them an ID number (Max Count of existing ID numbers +1), starting with me, User 0. That seems to work fine, but of course, still testing.

The ‘edit profile’ form for basic users is just email and password, while the form for subscribed users has more user info.

I’m trying very hard to keep the number of overall screens to a minimum (without sacrificing performance). I’m pretty sure the total will be less than 50 when the app is fully functional.

Your true/false method is better than my “does the user have an ID?”

Please keep watching me. I’ll publish my app soon.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.