Adalo Mobile App + Bubble Webapp

Hello!

I have created and published an App on Adalo, and I am currently making a web-based version on bubble which is the same service, just a web-based version which has a few more features than the Adalo app.

Does anyone have experience with a project like this? Technically, sharing the database between the two apps via an external database (or bubble’s via API) would work if I’m not mistaken, so that the Bubble web app and the Adalo mobile app could run off of and interact with the same database?

I have a basic UX setup on bubble, but wanted to ask the community and see if anyone has done a similar project before i get into the weeds.

If so, it seems something like this would be a powerful duo considering the unique capabilities of each platform.

2 Likes

Hi @Dons ,

I have once read that user name biberei has made example of it, but seems she is active in that forum.

Agree, this would make no code combo.

Hi @Dons,
I haven’t used Bubble in a while (Can’t remember if they have a native database), but I use Adalo with other frontend providers similar to Bubble and also for example I am currently building one WordPress together with Adalo.

But I would see this with 3 options:

1. Using Bubble Database (If they have) and connecting it to Adalo as External collection and interacting via Adalo API to Bubble (Not sure also if Bubble DB if exists is compatible with Adalo)

2. The other Way around. This probably is much easier if Bubble API is not compatible with Adalo as external collection.

3. Centralize in XANO; Airtable, Backendless, Supabase and so on.

My personal favorite is the 3rd option, since these databases are more mature and you can filter on the server side first and also optimize the databases. By default they offer also a lot more features.
Negative side is that it has a higher price. Also if one day you want to migrate apps to another frontend provider, this will facilitate a lot the migration process. They are the best option for heavy apps.

I have a stack that will be running soon in Adalo/XANO/WordPress.

The other 2 options, are great for cheaper solutions and if you have a small app or just want to build an MVP and see how it goes.

I hope this was useful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just a heads up.

Using 3rd party database will lose real time updates, it happens in Adalo and Bubble.

Another combo partner is FF which is planning for Supabase too in the near future.

2 Likes

Wow this is amazing thanks for the help!! Best of luck on your projects!

Thanks so much for the tip! What exactly do you mean by real time updates? Does the application only update its records from the database periodically?

For example If a user updated their name or email, would it not update the database in real time? This would be a big issue if this is the case as users need to see this change immediately.

1 Like

It gets updated once we do post action, but to get it back to the screens, we need to do another get action, so planning ahead is more important here.

Certainly auto-refresh list such as messages list in Chat template would not work.

Besides the chat example already given, for example if you add an item via form and you have same list of results in the screen.

You can solve this, by adding a quick modal screen to refresh the lists. For the chat purpose, a modal is not ideal of course.

Okay amazing thanks for the tip! I have a few modal screens that show a lottie animation and close when the animation is finished so that would work perfectly.

I am looking into XANO right now as you suggested. A local music school has gotten very interested in the platform and are willing to beta test the mobile app (which I have been testing myself with my own students for a while now [I am a music teacher]), and so I am deciding to go with the 3rd option which seems like it could support more users.

Speaking of this, do you have any experience with how the platforms you are using react based on the amount of users? And it sounds like using a 3rd party database would help with this? The school that is interested has at least a few hundred students, and if things go well, which I am hopeful for since the platform I have made is much more useful and music-teacher oriented than the one they currently use, the goal would be to offer the service to other music schools depending on how much traffic Adalo & Bubble could handle, and then if there is continued success find a technical co-founder and create a fully developed platform.

Finally, I am sure the answer to this question depends on what the app&webapp actually do, how much time the users would spend on the app etc. To summarize what goes on behind the UX, the most complex thing on the app is a basic chat. The rest is just shared logs, notes, and files that the student can add to their profile which can then be viewed by their teacher.

Hi,
It all depends how you will build the XANO DB, different endpoints filtered for different screens is a best practice, more filtering in the server side (XANO) and less of “Client” side (Adalo).

Then as many others, shared already here as best practices, number of Visibility conditions, number of ctions and elements/components in the screens, will increment the effect to speed.

My advice to IT beginners, keep it simple, build an MVP (Minimum viable product) by adding a small amount of features, rollout to the schools. Let it see how it goes and hear their feedback and then scale up. If Adalo at some point is not able to handle it, if you are using XANO, you then can always change to another frontend (Hopefully we will not come to this), but also means the app is having success. So here we will be as you put it very well:

and then if there is continued success find a technical co-founder and create a fully developed platform.

For this part:

Finally, I am sure the answer to this question depends on what the app&webapp actually do, how much time the users would spend on the app etc. To summarize what goes on behind the UX, the most complex thing on the app is a basic chat. The rest is just shared logs, notes, and files that the student can add to their profile which can then be viewed by their teacher.

Then going slow is the option, I think for now you will be ok with Adalo+XANO, just keep in mind the chat will be refreshed via the MODAL and not “instantly” as using Adalo DB.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.