Combine two filters (simulate OR clause for list)

Hi, I’m in desperate need of combining two custom filters for a list, however, I need the filters to be OR clauses. I am happy to employ any workaround.

Stay tuned! :grin:

4 Likes

:astonished: is it going to be a new release???

3 Likes

Hi, the workaround is the use an external service like Xano or Integromat. You still store the data in the Adalo database, but you use the external collections to get the list of users. Integromat will retrieve all the calendar dates, tasks, and users then apply the filter you want. You link the list to the external collection that you create.

It is a little convoluted. Maybe @Erik has a video tutorial on this

Hi @sladerose,

If the list isn’t too long, you can try to achieve this using visibility condition. I’ve created a short video with a workaround: Adalo hints: how to simulate OR condition in the list - YouTube

As for me this is suitable for smaller-sized lists; for larger amounts of data it’s better to use methods advised by @TKOTC or wait till Adalo introduces built-in OR filtering :slight_smile:

Best regards, Victor.

2 Likes

I think that might lead to duplicates in the list. A long time ago I built the merge list that can take different collections and merge+sort them together. The original intention was to create a notification window like the Adalo forum where you merge mentions, replies, likes, etc… or to merge Facebook feeds with Twitter feeds, etc…

It might work for this, haven’t used it in a long time though.

3 Likes

In my solution this most probably will lead to duplicates if you use “contains” case - I’ve explained that in a video and showed the example.

It happens in a case when one list item matches both criteria: then both visibility conditions will be met → both groups will appear, so one item will be displayed twice.

However, this happens only on the visibility layer; the list item is a single one.

Just a clarification from my side - the trick with visibility could be used (a) when the list isn’t very large (as it is displayed in the unfiltered state, so the app will show all items - some of them invisible, but still); and (b) when the list items are kind of “unique” and there is no probability that both conditions are met.

Best regards, Victor.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.