Create user account via external form?

We are making an app that will need a user to sign up and pay externally on a page (on kajabi). Once payment has been made outside the app, we want to be able to sign them in directly and access the paid content.

Our question is this: is it possible to create a user account via an external form?
Thanks in advance for all your help!

Hi @ChristinaC,

You can try to add user records to Users collection via Adalo Collections API. As far as I remember it should work.

Best regards, Victor.

Hey Victor, I was able to do the create account with zapier integration.

Something I am noticing with this is that: the users created outside of adalo, don’t get to save info in their account on the app.

Hi @ChristinaC,

I’m not sure what exact problem are you experiencing.
Here is an example video I’ve made for you - I’m adding a new user there using curl and then I can log in with this user successfully: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

What exactly is not saved into user account? Did you check user collection permissions - maybe they restrict saving updates?

Best,
Victor.

Hi Victor, I’m creating the user account with an integration to Kajabi via Zapier.

Here’s the video:

Thanks so much for your help!

Hey @ChristinaC,

Thanks for the video.
You’ve missed one critical part (what is on the “Sign up” button on a Sign Up screen). Though I still can see some options to explore.

1. In order to get rid of multiple Sign Up buttons (which is a list of users), you need to select this list, make group out of it, make this group conditionally visible only if email input is not equal to empty.
    Reason: when the value filter for the list is empty (no email entered) → the list displays all items. This is a default Adalo behaviour for several months already.

2. On the “Complete” button on New Password screen, the first action you have is Update Logged-in User, setting the password.
    The issue is that there is no logged in user at this moment. You need to update a password for current user.
    NB: Adalo won’t allow you to do it unless you change the corresponding Collection Permisson settings.

3. I am not sure that update password for current user and then immediate login (as a next action) will work; maybe there won’t be enough time to proceed with update. But this needs to be tested.

4. In my opinion, subsequent problems are related to the fact that you don’t have logged-in user in the subsequent screens.

5. You may have a look at this video Adalo tutorials: multistep customised password reset. ATTENTION - IMPORTANT UPDATES in description. - YouTube. It is quite old but you’re trying to implement something similar, so it can be useful for you.

6. I really hope that you didn’t rename built-in 4 properties in Users collection (email, password, username, full name) and you’re using correct original property (email) for a login. Otherwise I can’t even imagine which glitches you may have :slight_smile:.

Best,
Victor.

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the tips! Everything you said makes sense. And no worries, I didn’t rename the 4 built in properties in Users collection. :slight_smile:

After reading through your notes, I have a few follow-up questions:

I agree with you that the login step right after update is weird so I think the new flow will be this:

First time login screen
Login using email and temp password
Get a pop up on the screen to reset password, go to forget password screen
Or option to “skip” and access the content.

The temporary password we map to the account via the zapier integration. If I can figure out how to let a user login using their temp password, I could then send them a modal/pop-up after we successfully log them in, with a message that says, “we recommend you reset your password here” and direct them to the Forget Password page.

Alternatively, it would be even better if there is a way I can have a user login to their account with their temp password and then create a password on the next screen (which was the original intention).

I think this is possible if I can get the adalo account to leave the password field empty instead of [hidden]

Right now the current issues I am having are:

1. I can’t seem to log a user in with their temp password, every time I try, I get a message saying "this account must use a different login option.
  2. Figure out how to automatically create a user account without setting a password. The field should be empty not “[hidden]”

Thank you so so much for all your help. I’m getting close!

Updating this post with what we ended up doing for anyone looking to do something similar: ie; create account using external form and then logging that user in via the existing account.

In a nutshell, we updated the flow to this:

1. Payment made on Kajabi, fires a zap to create a user account in adalo
  2. User account has the following info: Email, Username, password (Password is user’s last name)
  3. User comes back to app to login
  4. Log in with email and password
  5. Get’s a pop up that says: please reset your password for better security
  6. Option to skip for now
  7. Access full app content.

Super happy with how all of this worked out!

Here’s the video:

Hey @ChristinaC,

Glad that my advices were useful.
In regards to setting the password - as far as I remember, when you create a new user password field should not be empty, otherwise you may experience unexpected behaviour.
I think that this message “user needs to use a different login option” is a consequence of empty password. This may happen in the case when users are created via Apple Signin or Google Signin.

Best,
Victor

Victor,

Huge thank you to all your help and advice. It helped get the ideas flowing. Every time the zap creates a user, the password is listed as “[hidden]” So the thought to just map data to it for signin was the final piece to make it all click together. The flow is a lot cleaner too.

Again, thank you so much for all your help. I’ll upload this info to my YT channel if anyone else finds this in the future. :slight_smile:
Best,
Christina

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.