Admin User Creating New User Accounts Inside the App NOT Editor

Hi

I’ve seen this topic just today - https://forum.adalo.com/t/how-to-create-account-by-another-app/254?u=tjd_15

My use case is for an Admin user to be able to create an new User account to a ‘Circle’ to share certain tasks within that ‘Circle’. I thought it would be possible to Create a New User account from within the app. But I’m not sure how do I go about doing it.

When I create a Form and link it to ‘Users’ collection, the only options shown in the Editor are ‘Log the User In’, ‘Sign the User Up’ or Update Logged in User’.

The ‘Create New …’ option that’s usually shown for forms related to other collections is not available. I can understand if this is intentional - Adalo team may not want users (or bots) to indiscriminately create new ghost users.

I also saw this related post - Event App: Invite Attendees (users) to app - #2 by Ben by Ben, where he recommends using a hack and Zapier, which sounds like it should work.

Any alternatives other alternatives possible? Or maybe if/when Adalo releases app API, by building a set of custom actions within the app?

@Ben @jeremy

Use the sign out screen, you can customize and use it for this purpose. You can also select a password for the new user, or let him set his password via forgot password, or even generate a random pin number as a temporary password, send him by email, set a flag in the user collection and add a screen or a modal which will be displayed to the new user upon his first connection.

Should work

2 Likes

Thanks @ChristopheHK.

Awesome hack! It didnt strike me that ‘Sign the User Up’ is essentially Creating a New User in the Table, just a different set of words doing the same function. But what you have suggested has worked.

Just a short feedback - I tried the Sign Up form with different visible fields. Sharing the results below. Maybe you are already aware, but sharing the results for benefit of other Adalo users.

Visible fields (all mandatory) + No Automatic fields----------- Browser Pop-Up

1. Email, Password, Full Name -------------------------------None
  2. Email -------------------------------------------------------------Pop-Up says “User Email Already Exists”
  3. Email, Password ----------------------------------------------Pop-Up says “User Email Already Exists”
  4. Email, Full Name ---------------------------------------------Pop-Up says “User Email Already Exists”

In all cases the users were still created and added to database, so there wasn’t a functional error. But non-techie users of your app may get a little irked at seeing the error on pop-up, or assume what they tried to do didn’t work.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Good to know, I didn’t tried! Thanks @tjd_15!

I think I’m trying to do something somewhat similar and wanted to see if you might have ideas/could help.

Scenario:

• I have a profile and notes
  • I want to create a profile for a family member and/or add notes for them
  • I would also want to be able to view a family member’s notes and/or give access to them to view my notes (so I would need for them to be able to find me and somehow make me a part of their group)

Trying to understand if this could work at some scale like hundreds of people who have multiple family connections (Father, Mother, Brother, etc). So many types of custom groups. I imagine the answer is yes just trying to wrap my head around it.

Thanks for the tips!

I’m testing something similar, but am running into a problem.

When I create a new user within the app, using a form (Submit action = Sign the user up) it logs me out of the account I was using, and logs me in as the account I’ve just created.

Is there a way to create user records within the app, whilst remaining logged into my own account?

Here’s a video to explain my thinking…
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TTUDbeUqQCBMHucZbGcAnUU9K7yFcDxC/view

Hi @AndrewP

I’m able to replicate your error as well. As the initiator of this thread I’ve removed the ‘Solution’ from the post above.

I don’t immediately have a good solution, except maybe that you divide the two steps - create the user and then update the user.

1. In the first step, proceed with what is working to create the user without getting logged out
  2. Then go to a screen with a list of current company’s users, and then select the user to let you edit whatever profile properties you would like to change

Not perfect but what I could think of in the last hour.

To help me understand better - Can you explain what’s the difference in forms between the ‘Home’ & ‘Create User V2’ screens? What was the form, actions, etc. in the Editor screen as well, which actually helped you create a user without getting logged out of the current account? Currently your video only shows the app preview window.

I think this is a very common and useful use-case for everyone, so hope @Experts or @anon78309838 can offer a working solution.

Hi @tjd_15 thanks for the response…

Here’s another video explaining the differences between the two screens

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_95W6pSMNlFlWBxomR387NGSd4c7uEzz/view

Thanks @AndrewP.

As I understood, the main issue is that while using a simple ‘Text Input’ method you’re not able to access the specific variable properties (either logical, relational, data, etc.).

What I can generally say is that it is possible to pass on data to the screen that you want from an earlier screen. EG if you want the type ‘Manager’ to be available on your V2 screen, you can have a list of User Types on one of an earlier screen, select ‘Manager’ and connect to the V2. I’m not sure how to manage ‘logical’ data type, but you’ll have to do some sort of conditional ‘create user’ by getting into ‘When does this happen -> Sometimes’ etc.

As far as I can think, you’ll have to specifically design your User Flow such that you keep passing data along every subsequent screen so that on the final screen that creates the user, all relevant data for all variables is available on that screen.

Honestly I do not believe its a very good solution.

I would still recommend create the user very quickly using Email + Password, then letting the ‘Admin’ update their internal company users via a User List screen, as I have mentioned in my earlier message.

But I would also like to know Adalo Experts can suggest a standard flow that can be replicable across any use-case or using any different data types.

1 Like

Its been more than 10 days and this question wasn’t replied to.

Posting again to draw attention to this.

@Experts @Leaders - which method would you recommend to create users from inside the app, and what’s the best user flow to assign certain default properties & permissions while that user is being created?

Couldn’t you use the sign up page and then edit the submit button as in create an additional action to lead back to whatever page you want it to lead back? What I’m essentially saying is but I’ve never put it to test is you can create multiple actions for one button

@Norsegoods - its the same method that @AndrewP showed in his video to be not working. The moment you use any ‘Form’ component to Sign-Up/Add another user, you get signed out.
Difference is without forms, using only separate input fields, user is created without you getting signed out. It isn’t dependent on adding multiple actions to a simple button, or form button.

1 Like

So I ran into this issue at first, but what I ended up doing was actually creating the form I needed using text inputs and adding a button. From there when you go through the action simply choose “create user”

5 Likes

Hi, I’ m having this problem also, and I don’t quite understand how you haver created that form, could you please explain it?. I’m stuck with this problem. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Hi Jose,

Maybe this can help you! In here I have added the Name as the Password in the create action. You can add another text input component and name it as the Password and set the type of the input as password and add that password input to the Password field in the create action.

Thank you

1 Like