Data structure help

Okay so, I want my app to have the following functionality :

• A login that logs you in as a “customer” with specific customer specific info presented
  • A login that logs you in as a “Employee” that shows specific information about him/herself and the customers in the company.

I got it as far as having the dual login (so a user with the “customer” field set to true will login to the customer home screen and the same for employee)

But I actually wanted to create 2 types of users (customers and employees). Since this is not possible does anyone have idea’s for datastructures i could use ? I have been trying to have a collection of “Customer details” linked to customer and employee users and “employee details” linked to just employees but I noticed I can’t get the data correctly to their respective home screens.

Update:
This is kind of what I was thinking of :

Would I dump all different data (like employee nr, customer id, etc) in the users table and only fill in customer info for customers and only fill in employee info for employees or split this up ?

Thanks in advance :smiley:

my current solution is just dumping all data about customers & employees into the users table and only filling in/showing data that belongs to either a customer or an employee. Also wondering if this solution is useful on the long run

Hi @RoyC,

One way is to use visibility conditions and filters based on a property in the users collection like a true/false that true for employer and false for customer. Also another way is to built two apps with the same DB for customer and employer!

Check here : How to Create Multi-Sided Apps - Adalo Resources

Maybe @Victor , @theadaloguy , @Flawless , @axme can explain this better with some examples? ( Sorry guys for disturbing by tagging you’ll. Thought that you guys can help here as so much experienced makers! )

Thank you

Quick question to help you: are you using lists to move data around?

What I do in cases like yours is: use the “all appointments” > count > then add custom filters like current appointment belongs to the log in user.

Let me know if that’s what you’re looking for your use case.

Hi Roy @RoyC,

There are pros and cons for each approach (store everything in Users vs have separate tables for Customer details and Employee details) and there is no “one correct” solution here.

Personally I’m more leaned towards storing everything in Users. In my opinion it brings more advantages:

• no need for an extra effort to make sure that data from other collections is available - you can use Logged-In User everywhere
  • less probability of mistakes when “simulating” 1:1 relationships between collections
  • simpler (and therefore a bit faster) query to the backend - an app need to get data only from one collection

Yes, you will have empty Employee fields for the Customers and vice versa. But you can easily manage that with conditional visibility (or, moreover, simply don’t display Employee fields in Customer section).

However: if you are using Collections Permissions + you are working with relatively sensitive data + you are creating a Webapp - then you need to store details in separate collections. But this is a separate topic.

Best regards, Victor.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.