Edit Journal Entry?

Hi,

I’m creating a journal that users can add entries to but I am having trouble figuring out how to make each entry “user-editable” vs. needing to delete the whole entry and create a new one.

What I want to happen:

1. User creates entry using form (got this working)
  2. User can view list of entries in a list and click to view the entire entry (got this working)
  3. User can select an “edit” button while viewing entry (got this working)
  4. Edit button links to a form that has the current entry already entered as text that the user can edit, press Submit, and this then updates the current database entry. (No idea how to do this or if it’s possible)

Any help is appreciated!

Hi Lisa, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

There are a couple of ways you can achieve this. But first, you have to make sure that the button is in the same line in the list as the data you want to edit as seen below in the example…

You then set the link from the button to a new page which has a form which you set to populate with ‘current record’ (when I say record, I mean whatever your data is called).

You can do this a couple of ways…

Option 1 (easiest). You can add a built in form, select the data you want to use for the form and then select to UPDATE the current record (I have used users in this example)

Option 2 (easy but needs getting used to). You can add a text input field and change the default text to whatever is in the current record you are linking from (again, I am using users as an example)

Both ways you then setup the buttons to UPDATE current record but with the second option you will have to link all the fields up correctly to save properly.

Let me know if you have any queries.

Cheers
Craig