Help me build a language game

I’m trying to build a simple language game, where a user can push a button, get a random word in Spanish, then type in the english translation in a text input component. Then they can press another button to check their answer. A :white_check_mark: will show if it’s correct, and a :x: will show if it’s incorrect.

I have a database category called ‘Words’ which is a list of words with two text properties: ‘English’ and ‘Spanish’.

I’ve given each word a number property, in case it might be useful later on.

I’m displaying the words in a list which is limited to showing one word at a time.

I’m trying to link the button to the list in order to change the word when the button is pressed, but so far I haven’t been successful.

Help me build a cool language learning game- it will probably help people in the future to see how it develops

Hi David,

Are you trying to get this data without a list? Or you have a list linked to a screen and it’s not working?

There’s no list involved- just trying to apply magic to a piece of standalone text…

I’m creating a language game where a word shows up (the magic text) and the user types the translation in english and checks their answer by pressing a button.

I have 10 words in my database, and have given each of them a number, so maybe users can click a button labelled ‘next word’ to generate a new word based off the number I gave it…

Yeah to get values from the database, you need to make it a list. You could do (on the text component > three dots > Make List) then if you only want to show one, you limit the list to one item.

How can I make it so users can generate a new word by pressing a button?

It would be button > add click action > update right? But what should I update?

If you were already creating an action before, it would be update. But if there was not an existing create action, you would do a create action.

Hi guys, just use the rendomizer component, it’ll do the work for you

How exactly would you do that though?

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.