Read status changes on ALL screens? Help!

I’ve already set up a perfectly functioning messaging system (with read status on/off linked if a user has opened a message or not).

Now comes my final problem:

I want the inbox icon (on many screens throughout app) to light-up when the user has an unread message in their inbox.

I’m having a lot of trouble figuring this out and would appreciate any help!

Thanks
Ari

Hi Ari :wave:

You mean when a user sends a message show a red badge or a popup message?

Thank you

Hi Dilon :upside_down_face:

Yes exactly, but I want it to be on all screens, not just in the inbox

Thanks!

Your welcome Ari
The red badge know?

Yes, could be any color or any shape…just need something there

But the red badge will show up for the user receiving the message

You can do something like this.

In your conversations collection create a relationship property between users and the relationship is many to many and you can name it like users who unread.

And then that send button ( Creates the message ) make it a list and then set the maximum number to 1 and then the collection is users and then filter current conversation members and add a custom filter email is not equal to logged in user email and add a update action to the icon ( Not for the list) Update Current conversation > Users who unread >Add current user. Then add a ellipse or image ( The red badge) and fixed type to top and add it on the inbox icon and set the visibility to sometimes visible if the logged in user > Users who unread > Count is greater than 0. Then group the chat inbox icon and the red badge and add the link action.

The red badge you can add it everywhere. I think no need the read status collection.

Thank you

Hey Dilon, i’m still alittle confused.

I understand everything except where the list should be made, and how the filtering excludes users when they’ve read messages already.

Like, where do you make this list after the send button (the chat message send button?).

Thanks
Ari

When you say light up. The icon to be visible or change color? If you are using the icon as part of the app bar I think you are out of lock there. If not you could create a list that has just the icon there. Then setup the source as users and filter it by the current user, maximum one and in the advance section of the list set it up to automatically refresh. Change the icon to a toggle and assign the true/false field. Set the toggle if pressed to a solid color for the icon and if you don’t want to see anything if it is false set an outlined icon and set the background to your current background color so it kind of disappears.

Hi @Ari,

Just in case - this video might be useful for you: Adalo hints: chat app enhancements - YouTube

Best regards, Victor.

1 Like

Hey guys, thank you for your replies but I still am not able to solve this.

I think maybe I haven’t explained my app well enough, or maybe I’m just not understanding correctly…so I’ll go into more detail:

My app simply has a messaging feature, it’s not a messaging app. The app has many different screens that offer different features (marketplace, groups, etc.). At all times, however, a user can press their inbox icon and arrive at the inbox, where they can see all their conversations.

I have no problems getting the unread status to show up on the inbox screen, because the data from the conversations are linked to the page. My problem is getting the icon to operate on ALL the other screens, where the conversation data isn’t available.

When I simply copy and paste the icon, it doesn’t work. It doesn’t seem like it’s possible, but I’d be shocked if it wasn’t possible considering how popular a feature like this is.

I hope this is clearer.

I’m trying to add it to the app bar, so I guess I may be out of luck here

I did a quick test. You can see it here and maybe it can lead you to the right direction. You can login as a@a.com and password a.

https://previewer.adalo.com/72ec066d-cfbb-4951-a569-1d7a4498be96

Hi Ari,

Sorry if my explanation is bad.

I copied the chat template and I added this notification badge. You can copy and check!

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

Wow! Thank you so much Dilon you’re the best :slight_smile:

I still can’t figure it out with this, but I’m really really close. I must be missing something small.

I looked over your original message and I understand everything except “fixed type to top” for the ellipse. Is that important?

Ari

1 Like

Your welcome

Otherwise the ellipse will be somewhere.

Hi @Ari ,

It seems you are nice and persistent. :grinning:

I made an experiment here.

Screen Recording 2021-10-22 at 2.32.16 AM (1)

If you need explanation, I would explain in another thread.

3 Likes

Hi Yongki I would appreciate that! This is exactly what I’m trying to do.

Ari

1 Like

I will put it in my free template thread when it comes to that topic.

1 Like

Amazing, looking forward to it :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.