Scaling Up: Prioritizing Performance on Adalo

Loading User Data Faster in Apps With Lots of Data :

Looks like Index creation is happening now on large collections when newly created. How about the old collections having thousands of data? Index creation has happened already for these collections??

Looks like Index creation is happening now on large collections when newly created. How about the old collections having thousands of data? Index creation has happened already for these collections??

Yes :slight_smile:

This didnā€™t happen for all apps but it has been manually done for all the biggest apps in Adalo. Kaigal included.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s Awesome. Definitely bright days ahead. Looking forward to many more improvements.

1 Like

Adalo dropped a few more performance updates here: Adaloā€™s Performance Updates

Summarizing from that link, these are the changes made so far, but please make sure to visit their link for full details.

• Faster Toggles
  • Text Inputs are faster (2 updates)
  • Loading User Data Faster in the larger apps
  • Improved Overall Database Response Times
  • Getting Data From Your Appā€™s Databases Has Been Improved
  • Initial Load of Web Apps and PWAs Has Improved!
  • Initial Editor Load Times Are Getting Better
  • Images Load 5x Faster!
  • Eliminated Queuing Times for Builds

I for one am extremely wowed by the pace the dev team are releasing these changes, and am very much looking forward to these upcoming ones that theyā€™re working on:

• Speed up Lists with Counts
  • How Apps Are Stored and Saved Is Changing
  • Improve Action Performance
  • Improve List Load Times
  • Improve External Collection Speeds (this will be a gamechanger for many of us)
  • Skeleton loading

With these changes combined, I hope that apps pulling in a lot of data from external collections (as well as apps using internal collections) will soon not only load faster but also become very responsive on button clicks, toggles, and updating lists with info changes. Canā€™t wait!

9 Likes

I have passed on your kind words @AddyEdwin.

The dev team has indeed been working extremely hard at getting these performance updates out and it is great to see the positive reaction towards that :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Nice! I just now saw this announcement and I think it ā€œmayā€ answer my question in a few other postsā€¦ Awesomeness Ada!! :slight_smile: Iā€™m along for the ride and hopefully launching soon!

Eagerly waiting for the next set of performance updates to drop, especially if thereā€™s any updates regarding action speed, list loading speed, and external database speeds. Have been visiting the performance update page probably every day for the last 2 months :joy:

There are 2 ways to keep on track of thisā€¦

Give this service a shot :wink: https://visualping.io/

alternatively, the much easier way of course is to use this section on the left side panel on the page

:grin:

Already subscribed, but force of habit because I sometimes donā€™t check mails for a few days :stuck_out_tongue:

Visualping looks pretty cool though

Actualy what I really meant to say with my post is that Iā€™ve been using Airtable with Adalo for over a year, and I STILL havenā€™t seen any significant updates on that front.

Last night, I seriously considered moving to Stacker, even though it is 4-7x more expensive. One thing I immediately noticed was that the app I made in it was SMOOOOTH. No jankyness, no long loading times, no missing or incorrect records showing up, no filters suddenly breaking down. Adalo has 10x more features than Stacker, and Stacker is 7 times more expensive, but combine ALL of it, and Stacker sitll comes out on top, just because of one thing - performance. No amount of features in Adalo is going to make up for that. Thereā€™s only one thing missing in Stacker - I canā€™t play videos natively. Thatā€™s literally the only thing stopping me because we work with a lot of videos (Iā€™m figuring out a workaround for that).

Having all of our internal tools streamlined wouldā€™ve pushed my business so much further. Iā€™ve waited for Adalo to fix the performance issues for over a year, and in the last few months it seemed like it was going somewhere. Iā€™m still waiting for the updates on external database, loading lists, action buttons, but my gut feeling after all this time says that even those changes wonā€™t be enough. My employees using the internal app for the last 2 months (and 1 month last year) can feel it - buggy, glitchy, and overall unreliable.

Like another user put it another thread here, itā€™s not that other sites like Stacker are fast, itā€™s that Adalo is slow. And unreliable to use.

Sorry for the rant, itā€™s been a long night, and I donā€™t feel patient anymore.

5 Likes

I would like to know when Region-based sharding is getting enabled. We are seeing a slowness issue with our app (India) and this is impacting our UX. Also, this has become a serious issue and we are seeing a large number of un-installs citing app slowness.

I know that we have been promised that region-based sharding will get enabled soon. But, itā€™s been more than 2 QTRs. But, not sure what is happening in this space.

Appreciate any pointers here.

Regards,
Bala

2 Likes

You could check this out @Kaigal: Heroku to AWS, when?

1 Like

No Performance updates after May 11th??

4 Likes

I am noticing that clicking action buttons is a bit faster, but Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s just me or a placebo effect, or if thereā€™s some real changes happening. While I can be pessimistic a lot of the time, I think the team is going to drop a big update with lots of changes already marked as done. Hereā€™s hoping

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been seeing better loading times for lists and actions. Still takes some time but it is so much better than it was about 1 year ago. Region based sharding is needed as is a transfer to AWS but from what I see above it is still in the works. Its just a waiting game unfortunately. Hopefully all that series funding will aide in better features, and functionality for us all.

3 Likes

I understand that it is the chosen environment of Adalo to be laid back and relaxed at workā€¦but the second that we as business people decide to invest our open window of time for opportunity in a marketā€¦with Adalo, our money that has been paid for over a year now (just to keep trying work arounds and fixing and rebuilding), time, sacrificed time, energy and everything that goes along with it. That right to remain laid back is forfeited!

A timeframe is necessary gentlemen!!! WHAT IS IT?? You have several patient and understanding BUSINESSES held hostage while paying you to do so. I canā€™t launch!!!

I have exhausted ALL of my time and money. AFTER REBUILDING AGAIN in an attempt to make an acceptable launch (way past due), I have our app down to almost TOO simple, just to be able to launch with something acceptable so I can wait on Adalo to figure it all out. AND not lose my window of opportunity, invested time & money in house payments, electric, internet, feeding children, etcā€¦while I spent the last year building and rebuilding in Adalo. BUUUUTā€¦

1. I have taken out ALL lists in a page (including shadows as I saw that in my extensive research as well) and the web app still acts UNACCEPTABLY SLOW on a phone! (Take out the list / missing data on next page)ā€¦it works great (NO JANKYNESS when scrolling is what I mean). I tried making a small portion of it into a PWA in hopes of that being the fixā€¦only part of the page showed up.

Hereā€™s just some (ONLY SOME) of the things that are happening while Iā€™m trying to focus, learn, work-around and not scream, kick and drink :zipper_mouth_face: :hot_face: :grimacing: :cry::

Moved the screen to make room for a new one and had to spend more time figuring out why a screen is mysteriously missing in the app. It removed the entire link and changed it to slide right from float downā€¦

PLEASE CALL IN A BIGGER TEAM IMMEDIATELY WITH YOUR 8M and let us know so we can make some damn decisions (which I donā€™t know what thatā€™s going to be at this point)ā€¦ Iā€™m completely exhausted in every way now! Iā€™m at a loss and this canā€™t happenā€¦

I CANā€™T START OVER AND I CANā€™T LAUNCH LIKE THIS??? I get it all, butā€¦I"m down to one list and actually zero lists to not freeze up on a phone / browser / web app and act jerky. Just out of patience!!

4 Likes

I hope the entire Adalo team understands that performance is no. 1 priority (this is the biggest thread in this forum), and anything else that detracts from it should be in the backburner. And that all this text below is not just applicable for 2-3 months since when it was written. Not yet moving to AWS, slow list/action speed, lagging external database, app crashing/not loading, taking too long to load in Asia, these are all just too frustrating.

Even more frustrating is the radio silence for almost 2 months.

2 Likes

Wow. I havenā€™t see this thread for a long time. Didnā€™t expect Adalo is still so ignorant on performance issues.

Very sad as I have to switch my target audience from Asia to US because of this.

No matter how we feedback and shout out for help, it is still the same old story.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a test app built on Glide with over 8,000 users. Spent quite some time building on Adalo and have a better V2 ā€” but thereā€™s not a chance in h*** I would launch the product on Adalo with the current speed issue.

I actually assumed it was my internet when Adalo continued to crash etc about a month ago.

I would assume somebody at the company is reading these and the responses carry some weightā€¦ so if thatā€™s the case, fix your speed.

Heck, take away half your features, just add speed.

At some point, something better has got to be released.

1 Like

Hey Everyone!

I want to apologize for not keeping you all in the loop with our performance projects. Thatā€™s completely our fault and Iā€™m sure that it doesnā€™t give you all much confidence that weā€™re working on it, but rest assured weā€™re hard at work on all of this.

The current projects that weā€™re on at the moment are both a little bit larger than some of the previous ones and we had hoped to get them out sooner, but in our final testing stages we caught a couple of bugs that caused us to rework some things. We went ahead and added a new post to the performance updates page but expect some improvements to be deployed next week.

And then in terms of working on these projects faster, weā€™ve been busy recruiting, interviewing, and hiring some brand new incredible team members thatā€™ll be starting here soon. Obviously, weā€™d have loved to be able to snap our fingers and have more people join our team but itā€™s important to us to find the right people to set Adalo up for long term success.

I know how important this is to you all and I canā€™t thank you all enough for building on Adalo and being here with us. There are so many challenges that come up as you scale a product, but itā€™s amazing to have a community here to keep us headed in the right direction & supporting us along the way.

14 Likes