Searching all records, not just one field

Hi there. Was almost done with my v1 but have a problem I’m hoping for help on. My list search currently only searches the topic field but there are four more fields in each record. How can I set the list search box to search the content from all the fields in the record, not just that one field?

Thanks

Hi @jlanyontx ,

The way I do it is to have an aggregation property of all fields that want to be searched, I call this search joint.

So, search input can be used with the following filter, search joint contains search input.

Hi James,

This has been discussed previously and a solution can be found here. Please let me know if you need any help with the solution at the link.

Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Yongki. that makes sense but I don’t know how to do that. Do you have a screen shot of how to set up?

Hi and thanks for responding. read the thread but the solution doesn’t make sense. I’m very new to the Adalo platform so any visuals you have on how to set up would be greatly appreciated

1. Add text property called search joint
  2. When you update or create records, update also this text property with comma separated, every property in the collection that you want to be searched, put all here, including number, date, even other properties from relationship
  3. In the search screen, add 2 input fields called “search input”, “on search” and a button called Search to do change input value on search equal to 1, and another button called Reset to do change input value on search equal to empty
  4. Put custom list below the buttons and search input and put visibility if on search equal to 1
  5. Put filter search joint contains search input
  6. Make the on search input hidden, by changing its color and size

Hopefully this is applicable for your case. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi @jlanyontx,

In addition to advices by @Yongki and @crmorris2: this video by @pford Creating Custom Searches and Search Bars in Adalo - YouTube could be useful for you.

Best regards, Victor.

1 Like

thank you both for all the input. I tried several times to get this approach to work. the problem with implementing the approach suggested in the custom search video is my submit button already links to a modal in the user flow to acknowledge the data input. That modal then links to home with an ok button push. I tried implementing through the modal but it just blanks out the list on the search list page rather than improving the search function.