Hi all,

We have an exciting beta that just opened up: our External Users!

What are External Users?

External Users are a collection of user information, think username and password, that live in a collection outside of Adalo.

Historically, every Adalo app utilized the User Collection for sign-up/log-in information — but now, you can use your user information from an external database. Woohoo!

A few things to note:

1. The external database must have a REST API
  2. The REST API must come with accessible log-in endpoints
  3. Upon set-up of External Users, you will still need to set up External Collections as normal

The External Users beta is closed at this time! Thank you for your interest.

11 Likes

Is there a thread to discuss beta experience and help each other troubleshoot?

1 Like

Hi,
Will using an external database fix app slowdowns and slowness?
Thank You

1 Like

Hi, I want to join the external users beta! I would like to find a way to login via Discord (among others). I’ve filled up the form twice :smiley:

@KatelynCampbell could you help me for this? :smiley:

Created a demo of a chat application without using the Adalo database. Please have a look at it! We think by applying this we can connect bubble to Adalo! Please forgive me for using Japanese.

demo app

Waiting to hear an answer to this @adalo @KatelynCampbell Am sure more people wonder the same

I just tried it, but my external login does not authenticate the users or throw error when they enter wrong credentials… So how do i get my returned authentication value after login.

Update: I was accepted into the beta (yay!), but now I’m facing this problem: Stuck in external users beta - Help / External Collections, Custom Actions & Collections - Adalo

@KatelynCampbell when do we expect it go to live with it? and can I use beta for production apps?

1 Like

Hey!

Any update on pushing this? And are you working on displaying additional user data as well? Currently only the ID and Token are available but in my case, and I assume in many cases, more/all user data is needed throughout projects

I tried external users beta and it’s a good addition and will be very helpful when we have multiple apps and want to allow users using a single sign on facility.

I have tried it with Firebase Authentication. However, there is still a long way to go.

• The sign in and sign up worked fine in two cases
  • In one case on sign up, even though the user was added to the firebase but i got error message that sign up failed
  • There is no user table like internal users, where we can link everything to a user and then access it anywhere
  • No way to add this feature to existing apps

Overall, it’s a good start. I’m confident, by the time I have my multiple apps ready, this feature will be mature. :slight_smile:

@scientist @renzetc Hi Guys I have using it for a while (config is bugging currently - but only today)
I am not sure if I understand your concerns but based on authtoken or user id you can retrieve any data from any external DB. There is no list of user because that list should be in your external DB.

@Lukasz

How do you link external users with your internal data. For example, currently we can do this: Logged In User → Get Related Records or Fields.

@scientist can you give an example why would you need it? All my external user data are on the external backend

@Lukasz

How do you link your internal data with your users? For example, I have a courses app, where I have a couple of courses. When a user starts a course, I link it to that user. In Many to Many relationship. Now when I need to access courses by a particular user, I do this… Logged in Users → Taken Courses.

How would you achieve that when you have no internal linkage with the user?

all my database is external, if you I want to access user specific information e.g. some list that is user specific I send the user token that Adalo received and stores while external user is logged to my backend and retrieve user ID to return or update date for specific user

Hi Katelyn, is it possible to get other attributes of the external logged in user, other than the token and the id? Let’s say in my external database, the user has an attribute “name”. I can see while setting the login API, that if I send an additional query parameter “name” (additional to “email” and “password” queries), and if i configure it correctly in my backend (Bubble), the API returns the correct information (the user “Name”). However, after, I can only map the authorization token and the user ID, I cannot map the returned “Name” to anything. Would be useful to have it, as i understand that it could be usable as magic text.

@Sebastien as per the other reply what I did:

• I created a collection that return data only for the specific user based on the token
  • I use this collection as a list etc in some part of the app to retrieve or update user specific data e.g. profile date etc

Hello! Your link doesn’t work on my PC. Can you suggest me another solution please?

How do you guys handle the expiring token, in case you use a JWT to login?