Simple Google map link possible? How?

I would like to click an icon, that uses a weblink (I assume), and opens Google maps to a users address/location. (so, there is no map in the app needed)

Input: Each supplier would enter their address (on signup/profile) ?
or, link from google maps? which?

Output: the shopper would tap the icon, it opens up google maps to the suppliers location. Hopefully, the shopper can just tap, get directions once inside Google maps.

I was hoping for a simple solution without needing an API (or 4 of them)

I cannot find documentation or a video that covers this. Perhaps because itā€™s really simple and I am just missing something.

Hate to bother the community for such a simple feature. So, thank you ahead of time for any help or links to help.

2 Likes

Ti Toddy,

This is quite easy to do with maps universal links + magic texts
Only issue is that the only way to ā€˜openā€™ the link with Adalo is to use the linkā€“>website action. Which on iOS doesnā€™t open the google maps app immediately, but the in app browser with google maps. No big issue (for me).

Follow this link for the info you need! ComeƧar Ā |Ā  Maps URLs Ā |Ā  Google Developers

2 Likes

Thank you. Sounds simple and should work.

I do understand what you mean by website action.
I will follow the links you have provided.

I donā€™t understand ā€œuniversalā€ link.
Does this mean, the URL link from the browser window? (as opposed to the ā€œshareā€ link provided by google)

thank you.

I have tried this type of link. hasnā€™t worked, yet

Hi Todd,

With ā€˜universal linkā€™ they mean a url that works for opening installed apps regardless of whether you are on iOS or android.

You would need a to create a url like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/?api=1&query=Washington+DC

Which would work like: Google Maps

You can use different kinds of lookups/directions/etc. Check their documentation for that.

1 Like

Google is quite handy at getting the right spot if you just throw some info their way, so no need to be super specific in my experience :wink:

1 Like

I understand your / Googleā€™s definition, now. Simple enough.

I tried a few more possibilitiesā€¦ still canā€™t get it to workā€¦
Iā€™ll keep reading and experimentingā€¦ mmm

Donā€™t forget to put this in the url. Itā€™s mandatory

1 Like

Did you get it to work?

Nope. Will be back on it, shortly. Appreciate you following up.

I did find a few potential sources of the problemā€¦ Iā€™ll check back in.

Thanks, Steven!

Steven

I had to take care of some personal stuff last week. back on itā€¦

Can you tell me the steps you took to create the (Washington) link above?
Or, where did you copy/paste it from? I think that would do it.

1 Like

Hi Toddy,

No worries.
I just followed the instructions on the page about the universal links: ComeƧar Ā |Ā  Maps URLs Ā |Ā  Google Developers

You can just paste (for example with magic text) something after https://www.google.com/maps/search/?api=1&query= and google will do its magic.

If you want to open in directions specifically you would have to look up on how to change the url.

1 Like

Youā€™re awesome. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.