Slow app please help

I’m trying to create my first app with Adalo, it’s really making me nervous reading about the apps created with Adalo being slow… I’ve also read that many to many relationships is not good, so what do In place of a many to Many relationship… And building from Nigeria, Africa… Will it make my app much slower??

Adalo’s servers are physically in the USA.
It takes time to ‘talk’ between phones/computers and the server. The farther away the longer it takes.
Africa seems to be on the ‘long’ side…

It really depends on how complicated your app will be (how much information it loads in one screen and how many interrelations between data you have).
Keep in mind that you certainly won’t reach speeds of custom highly optimised apps like Facebook, instagram etc, using a no-code tool like Adalo.
Simple apps will be fine, but you will have some waiting times in use. Make sure you make use of handy UX features like loading spinners to mitigate it a bit from user perspective.

Hi, I’m a new user at Adalo, I’m from Indonesia, what I want to ask is how about speed in Indonesia?

@Gabe1987 @jessehaywood @James_App_Maker

I have tested Gabe’s app on the previewer and native build on Android. The longest load time for any action was 3.29 seconds. There is no “30-second load time” on any action that Gabe had stated.

The “slowness” that was described is very small UX things, like a 1 to 2-second delay on “many to many” relationships like “Add Friend” or “Add Comment to post”, the kinda things that users want to see visually instantaneously.

@TimSquared, @paulomorales Tim & Paul, please provide screen recordings of your issues.

1 Like

I want to know before I start building my app… Is it worth it all building from Nigeria, Africa??
I’ve spent a lot of hours and resources learning how to use this builder… But this speed thing and my location… Is it a good idea to continue at all on the project

I want to know before I start building my app… Is it worth it all building from Nigeria, Africa??
I’ve spent a lot of hours and resources learning how to use this builder… But this speed thing and my location… Is it a good idea to continue at all on the project

I can. It’s highly variable though. Seems like the app runs on a set of shared resources and the speed might be influenced by a number of factors outside of how my app is built. Same page at one time during the day might take 5-10 seconds to load and other times might take 1-2 seconds.

Considering my location, how do you think a video and video call feature will work on the app

I haven’t build any video or video call apps. So I can’t say!

Please I’d like a guide while I’m creating, I have the Idea of what I want to achieve, but I don’t have a full idea of how to execute. Please can someone help me out step by step while I work, if I tell share my ideas… I have good knowledge of Adalo, so it will be easy to catch up

Is it possible to create the app on Adalo and publish, then connect the app to other servers like firebase

Hi Presh,
It is possible to connect to external databases, but I’ve read here on the forum the requests still pass through Adalo’s servers. So that won’t help with the distance-delay itself.

So can’t they do something about it?? Like if they can give the file of your app and allow you connect independently to another server… Coz if the app is too slow, it can’t be useful

1 Like

So can’t they do something about it?? Like if they can give the file of your app and allow you connect independently to another server… Coz if the app is too slow, it can’t be useful

1 Like

Can Adalo allow allow someone to connect their app to external server without the requests passing through the Adalo server, like a direct link with an external server, due to the app speed issues… A slow app May not be very useful… So there has to be a way around this from your end, so I’d you guys to help on this, could be a temporary solution to those complaining of slow apps…

2 Likes

Adalo is an awesome tool that makes things possible for a lot of people that weren’t before.
They are working very hard in improving speed.
You have to accept though that there are trade-offs when using a no-code tool. If speed is of utmost importance for you, then no-code probably isn’t for you - you’ll need a custom app development team to optimise for your use-cases and location.

At this moment Adalo is best for (real, working) MVP’s and simple apps.

1 Like

I second what Steven said. Performance will be improved. That’s a promise. It’s a focus of ours this year. Also, we’ve been doing some work on the Adalo App Academy and have had some great content come from some high level thought leaders. Two quotes come to mind that relate to this.

The first is from Ben Tossell, founder of Makerpad. He was talking about common questions he gets about no-code, and one of them had to do with scalability. His response was to the point. He said, “Get customers before thinking about scalability.”

The other one comes from Nir Eyal, author of Hooked. He said, “One of the most common mistakes that I see is that people will start optimizing for growth before engagement and that’s a big, big mistake.” He went on to talk about no-code and it’s advantage over traditional development. He said, “In my over a decade of experience, there is a direct connection between the likelihood of success and how quickly products iterate.”

So, my advice is to build, get users, get feedback, iterate, and then repeat that process until you’re forced into traditional development.

4 Likes

It seems great to me, in particular I have about 50 clients and many times they leave the apps due to the lack of speed (in South America) that harms us in having more clients. I love adalo, it helps me a lot, but I would like to retain more clients… the goal is to reach 100 apps this year… we need help from adalo

1 Like

What specifically did they say about performance and their reason for leaving? It’s always helpful when we have more information. What particular areas of speed impacted their decision? Was it list load times? How long actions take?

It’s always a struggle for me to understand performance because it seems to vary per individual, which makes it hard to pinpoint issues. For instance, one of our makers, Axel, has over 250,000 users and doesn’t seem to have issues with performance. And he’s not in the U.S. But I know others who have less than 100 users experience issues.

Part of our focus on performance is first identifying the major problems. I think our team is in the identifying major problem areas and then creating the scope of work phase.

1 Like

Great, I can tell you what the clients are telling me so that they have content to see… the main one is the delay in loading the app example: you click on the app icon and it takes time to open the app.
Once inside the app on a food ordering page it takes the menu to load the list, when you add to cart it takes a good few seconds to create the order item and load it into the order.

It takes a long time to display the information from the databases

1 Like