User survey popup after user spent certain time on app

Hi everyone:

So basically I want to have a function where after maybe like user spent 5 min on the app, a survey would jump out to ask him/her to provide some feedback for the app, is there any feature that can achieve this?

Thanks!

Hi @MaxZHou,

I see several options here.

1. You can add a DateTime property to Users collection, call it “survey popup time”. Set it on the 1st app screen, for example to Current time + (86400/24/60)*5 (this will put a value of current time + 5 minutes).
    Then on each screen of the app you add a conditional action linking to a Survey screen. This action should execute only Logged-in User → survey popup time is before Current time.
    Don’t forget to set “survey popup time” to some far date in future after the survey is completed - otherwise your users will see it each time.

With this approach, users will get to a survey eventually - though only after they perform an action in the app (it won’t pop up automatically).

1. You can use timers. Add timer on each screen, store the remaining seconds (as usual in Logged-in User, calculate them each time you navigate through the screens) and initialise them upon screen enter. This thread may be useful (how to store remaining time for timer: Getting most recent value from countdown timer).

With this approach, you will get pop-up roughly after 5 minutes (or the time you’ve set).

Unfortunately, the approach of one timer which acts “independently” on a separate screen no longer works.

As a side note - unwanted pop-ups are not the best UX practice and users may not be happy with them.

Best,
Victor.

Hi there

I have done the first step here, however, I am struggling with the second step, so do I add a countdown timer to each of my pages? What is the workflow for this? Thanks very much.

Hey @MaxZHou,

Options I’ve mentioned more like alternatives.
So if you have conditional action attached to regular button / screen loading / etc. which directs your users to survey screen, no need to use timers.

Best,
Victor.

Hi there, thanks for your suggestion! But however, I didn’t quite get it, if I have conditional action for the buttons, how would I have the conditional action directing to the survey only roughly after 5min? Thanks!

Hello @MaxZHou,

As I’ve already said:

• add a DateTime property to Users collection, call it “survey popup time”.
  • Set it on the 1st app screen, for example to Current time + (86400/24/60)*5 (this will put a value of current time + 5 minutes)
  • on each screen of the app add an action linking to a Survey screen
  • make these actions conditional, so that they are executed only if Logged-in User → survey popup time is before Current time
  • after user finishes the survey, set Logged-in User → survey popup time to some far date in future.

Best,
Victor

Hi there

thanks for this! However it is not working, I have set everything up as you said and it is not directing the users to the pop up

Hello @MaxZHou,

Then most probably you’ve made some mistakes in implementation.

Everything works perfectly on my side. I’ve recored a video with the example: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

Best,
Victor.

Thanks! I will check it out and test it.

Thanks it worked!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.