Web app vs Mobile first dilemma

Hi. I have a project whereby there will be a desktop web app version and a mobile app version.
Both will be accessing the same database.
In short, should I start designing with the mobile version or the web app (PWA) version first?

I will assume that the web app version will be showing more details. And pretty much a different interface.

Hi,

I think that’s a personal question based on go to market and how your users will primarily use your app.

For most of the apps I’ve developed, we build mobile first and then a very lite desktop version for admin purposes. We work with a lot of B2C’s, so they must have mobile first, then use desktop for their admin purposes. After mobile is complete, we build the desktop consumer version.

Hope that helps!
Erik

2 Likes

Hi,

Long story short: it doesn’t matter.

You need to build something and validate it with real users.

Imho, just build a web app. It’s free. You need a “developer account” ($$) to share an app in apple store o android store.

Users will say to you if they want a mobile app.

But now, you don’t know even the product will generate some interest (and this validation don’t rely on the device)

Hope that helps!
Manu

2 Likes

Thanks guys for your inputs!
I was thinking of using existing templates from Adalo for a web app first but it seems that all of them are mobile based instead. So maybe I will start with mobile first as there are more existing resources for it.

Talking about validating with real users… How do you do that without publishing a sub-par version to ‘test the market’? Which spoils the experience in the first place.

Two different things:

1. Identify power users / beta testers - they’ll be more understanding about bugs and beta testing makes it easier to collect and collate feedback
  2. Look at other MVPs throughout history - 15+ examples of successful MVPs | RST Software. If it looks nice, it isn’t an MVP. Get it out there, then iterate quickly to improve experiences. Let users participate in that experience (like ideas.adalo.com).
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.