How to dynamically generate a list that is customized to each user / pull data from a master collection

So here’s my current issue in a nutshell: I’m a coach and I’ve created a manual database with a whole bunch of drills for the athletes I train. However, only some drills are for each athlete (depending on what they need to improve on). I’ve tried using the manual data widget to bring data into the new screen but that seems to not work (the available data section when I click on a screen). Here is my process as it stands:

On my end:

1. Select which drills I want each of my clients to do
  2. I’ll use an action button when I press submit to add these drills to a new spreadsheet (Description of drill, form, how the drill should be performed, that sort of stuff) to a new list that is tied to each client.

On the student’s end:

1. I’ll have my list component for them to look at
  2. The component will show the items that were just generated for their custom list

I guess my question is one of efficiency. This seems like a terrible waste of space and data. There has to be some sort of way to just mark off which drills each student should have populated into their list from a reference spreadsheet without having to generate many rows of data every time for every one of my clients on a repetitive basis.

Would anyone have insight into how to make this process more efficient? I haven’t found a way to do so yet. Thanks!

Hi Kevin,

Just checking in if you solved this already or not? Otherwise happy to provide some steps to get you on your way with this app.

Hey Colin!

Thanks for the response! I have just been using the method that I outlined above where I have about 20 actions that add rows of feedback to each client and it might add between 8-10 drills for each of them depending on what I select. I just wanted to make sure that this is the correct way to go about it with 20 something actions that add items to a collection each time. It seems like a waste of space but I’m pretty new to this and am not sure if this is the right way to go about it.

Any info to let me know whether or not I’m on the right track would be helpful!

Also, I see a lot of questions that go over my head in the forums but I want to learn as much as I can. I’ve watched the tutorials but sometimes I feel like I should try to learn more. Do most people that use adalo come from a coding background and would having basic knowledge of coding help in how I think through problems? Are their any other resources outside of what Adalo provides that could help me?

Thanks!

Hi Kevin,

If it works, it’s never the wrong way :slight_smile: but often, there is a better way :slight_smile:

Learning better methods is just practice and time. There are lots of resources out there to learn from, a notable resource for learning nocode is markerpad.com

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.