Is is possible to search an invisible Field?

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to create an extra field in the database that is not seen on the form but is in the Database, that the owner of the app can update himself, and if the owner does a search that field will show up in results.

I have the search working great now but it ony shows results that are fields that can be filled in on the actual form the user views

To explain how it would work

The customer makes an appointment to come to a garage for a service/repair. He leaves that car with the garage for 3 days having the service/repair done. Then when the work on the car is finished the garage owner can mark that date in a field (example) “Work Completed Date” this field the owner completed directly in the database, but this field is never seen on the user form

PS can anyone tell me what the Yellow Plus + icon in the bottom right of the search form is for ?

Many Thanks
Nex

1 Like

Hi @Nexus21214,

This may help (made by @pfordmedia): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddf3dx-bIhs
There is a “search index” field in a DB collection, against which the search is performed.

Best,
Victor

Hello Victor,

Thanks I have watched that video before and it did help me when setting up my custom searches which work great

But it appears to me that if a Field is not on the “Actual Form” the user completes then it cant be searched?

Also can you tell me what the PLUS + icon in yellow is for on the search results screen ?

Many Thanks

What type of info are you wanting to search by? You can append user input data into one field, but the data still has to come from somewhere - either the user or anything you put in the database yourself.

HI Pfordmedia.

I soved all the general search issues and was just asking the purpose of the Yellow Plus Icon (see screenshot above)

Plus my original question was… Is it possible to have a searchable field in the Database but the field does not appear on the form ? Yes, I dont want the extra database field to appear on the form but wanted it to be a searchable field.

I dont think this is possible as searchable fields I think have to be on a form not just in the DB ! The original idea was to have a Field in the database that is updated manually by the APP owners.

For example MR X booked an appointment on X day but the appointment could only take place on Y day which was decided by the APP Owner. So as Y day was the actual day the appointment happened I wanted to be able to record that information so it could be searched later

Many businesses like garages say drop your car off on a Monday and we will service it as soon as we get time. They may do the actual service say on the wednesday so that is the date that is recorded in the records the service was done in the “hidden field” The date the customer chooses is hardly ever the day the work is done. By knowing the true date the work was completed the App/garage owner can search and know that a service was done say 6 months ago and contact the car owner to remind them another service is due soon… for marketing purposes.

Thanks

Oh I see. Yes you can definitely search by hidden fields, it just requires an update action of the record at some point in the future. Using your garage example, this could happen when the mechanic marks the job as complete on his side of the app. The mechanic doesn’t ever see the date field, but it’s still updated with the current date and time so it can be searched for later on.

1 Like

Thats great thanks for all the help. I think this could be of help to many businesses not just garages

If I am getting it right, I think its easy enough. Have as many fields in your database that you like. Display only selected fields in the form ( you can control that in the form by removing the fields that you don’t want general users/customers to see). Can play around with visible and automatic fields to gain more control and get some stuff like date, time, logged in user etc recorded in the backdrop.

Can give backend access to garage owner or create another screen, where the particular field/fields be added in the form for the admin to update. I guess this is what you were looking for. Else just ignore this.

About the Yellow button, its to add a new record or simply a call to action type button. Remove/delete if you don’t have any action linked to it.

Hi and thanks for responding

You have been very helpful with your incite and I will give it a go for my own edification

In the end I just have the garage owner change the date that the customer booked online… to the date the work was done ( he just changes the date in the database manually as this is the “true date” the yearly inspection runs from for 12 months), and this works fine now for search and marketing purposes. So if the app owner searches for all inspections say 11 months ago (assuming 11 months have elapsed) he can call the car owners and say “Your MOT inspection is due again in a month”…and get repeat business

By the way If I remove the +action button the search faciity stops working and I get a blank screen. I can assign it an action, but it all fails if I remove it and all I see is a completely blank screen ? No Data/results or even the app bar or yellow action button its just BLANK???

Do you have any idea how I can add a space between the displayed customer name and the mobile number as they are right on top of each other (See Screenshot) which looks a bit messy

Many Thanks

Do you have any idea how I can add a space between the displayed customer name and the mobile number as they are right on top of each other (See Screenshot) which looks a bit messy

Just add space between 2 magic texts.

By the way If I remove the +action button the search faciity stops working and I get a blank screen. I can assign it an action, but it all fails if I remove it and all I see is a completely blank screen ? No Data/results or even the app bar or yellow action button its just BLANK???

That’s strange, unless you have grouped that action button with other components of your screen. Check on the left side the list of components and if there is accidental grouping. Also, i notice that you have changed the “+” button to “X”.

And why is there an ampty space on the right border of the screen? On purpose (like nav menu screen) or the width got reduced accidentally?

Hello Kamal

Thanks for the tip on creating spaces between name-surname and mobile That works fine now

The gap on the right hand side in grey is a slider bar as if I scroll with my mouse it moves up and down with the screen (this is only on PC preview). It does not appear on mobile only on PC using Firefox not on Chrome (adalo preview screen) (see Screenshot above) I have made the yellow + button act as a LOGOUT button now same with the top left button X (as everything else works now on search so I am not messing with it)

Before I made the + yellow button act as a LOGOUT button, there were no Actions and no group or any other option was selected from the three DOTS in the left adalo admin panel ?? BUT ! when I created the search form (by inserting it onto a Blank screen) and set up the search, Group 26 appeared. automatically as soon as I say what its a list of, and add the filer ! If I ungroup then nothing works again

But I tried it several times and if the button icon is removed (x) then the whole search page crashes and goes blank ???

Many Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.